IGNORED

Purchased a 73 240z automatic

jdbrocious

I got a good deal on a 2 owner matching numbers car that is complete and very minimal rust. The only downside is the automatic.

My plan is to restore to factory condition, but I'd like to swap for the manual. Plenty of resources online about doing that, but.... I want to understand the impact on the value.

If I put a factory 4 SPD that is year correct is that as good as it being an original manual car? Does it matter to the value? Would I even need to mention it was swapped to a manual or is at as good as original?

I'm sure if I jump to a 5 SPD it's no longer 'original' but what does that do to the value?

Lastly, leaving it auto, would I be above or below the manual conversion values?

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That's tough to answer. Hmmm...I'd say converting it to manual lowers the value since it's no longer original. If you're changing it to a manual you might as well make it a 5-speed. Auto is worth less than a manual. If you're trying to flip the car then just fist the rust on the wheel arch and put on some new seat upholstery. The car look pretty good for the most part.

Chuck

• Like 1

Anyone have other thoughts? Or had cars appraised?

If you had 3 of the same identical cars but the tranny was the only difference what would the value change?

1. Original Auto
2. Swapped to 240 4spd
3. Swapped to 280 5spd

I'd install the 5-speed and SAVE and LABEL EVERYTHING that is removed in the swap. Easy for the next owner to put it back to orig if that is their goal.

I'm betting that the next owner will leave the 5-speed in and he or she will have the seed (auto. spare parts) to start the ever growing stash of parts that goes with owning a Z.

• Like 1

Leave it. Cars are always worth the most in original preservation condition. A few decades back, I had an auto trans 280Z and it was much faster on an autocross course than my 4 speed. If this is truly an unmolested car and you want a manual transmission, flip it and move on. Now if the car had been all modified? Rock on.

About 20 years back I had an Abarth exhaust I had purchased and put on a Z I had. When I sold it, the guy asked for the original exhaust so I switched it out for him. I then put it up for sale. As it happened, the guy that responded lived 2 miles from my house. I told him I'd help install it just to get to know another local Z guy. When I got to his house and he opened the garage, I saw a pristine '70 240Z. I checked the VIN and it was a first 50 car. I told the guy, I'm sorry, I can't sell you this exhaust. He looked a little shocked until I told him what he had. His wife had purchased it new and driven it until she got sick and passed. It was something like 130K miles and preservation condition. We took it up to Midas and they welded a little patch over the tiny hole in his muffler that was making noise. I was deployed when he sold it, Or it would be shined up and covered in my garage right now. So, general rule is, modify the modified and preserve the preserved. Nissan isn't making any more of them!

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback. It is unmodified other than swapping the carbs out, but it came with the original as well. It's a 2 owner car. 2nd owner bought with 11,000 miles on it. Now it has sat in garage since 1988.

An AC car. I would keep that even though you may not need it! If you go to sell it, it may help have a broader audience...As for the transmission. If it's a bolt on mod and easily reversed I wouldn't worry about it. Keep all the original parts....

• Like 1

On March 18, 2017 at 10:38 AM, jdbrocious said:

Anyone have other thoughts? Or had cars appraised?

If you had 3 of the same identical cars but the tranny was the only difference what would the value change?

1. Original Auto
2. Swapped to 240 4spd
3. Swapped to 280 5spd

If the car you are talking about is a 1973 240Z - CONDITION is 90% of the Value, followed by Location. If the location was the same, then the selling price would be the same. The difference would be in how long it would take to find a buyer. Or the difference might be how easily a buyer could convince you the A/T hurts the value, so you would sell it for less.  

10 years ago the A/T might have hurt its value ... today - mostly original, well cared for, pretty clean - - cleaned, detailed and properly presented...the low end seems to be $18K no matter the transmission.  Personally - it depends on how much you want to spend swapping it out to a 5spd.. That is money you won't recover as it really won't increase the value of the car. As Chuck mentioned - money spent on proper improvements like reupholstery for the seats etc - is money that you might at least get some of it back.

FWIW,

Carl B. 

Edited by Carl Beck
your vs you are.. LOL
  • Like 1