IGNORED

Another interesting auction

7tooZ

I hope I don't offend anyone.  But I would pay much more for an unmodified car than a custom one. Flairs, blacked chrome, L28, seats, etc. really drops the appeal to me.  I am sure many others would like the car because of the appearance, upgraded interior, etc.  Also, many sell L28 as an "Upgrade" to the original 2.4.  But to me, nothing beats numbers matching and as close to factory as possible. Long term, I suspect those cars will be the ones that demand top dollar.

• Like 1

You do not offend anybody!  You are in very respected company. Originality is still king.  However with cars like the 240Z (and 911, and 2002, and GTV) they are purchased not just to have a beautiful object to own, but the very roots of their pedigree are in motorsports and the ability to produce a thrilling drive.  These cars attract those who want to capture that original 240Z magic as well as those looking for the ultimate classic car driving experience.  A well modified classic version of the cars mentioned above heightens the driving experience. If the mods are tasteful and period correct, I have been posing to the classic car crowd, that these cars modified to drive are worth almost as much as all original ones.  People who value the visceral drive over all out originality come with bags of money of their own.  Both are welcome at my house! 

• Like 2

On 3/19/2017 at 6:45 AM, 87mj said:

I hope I don't offend anyone.  But I would pay much more for an unmodified car than a custom one. Flairs, blacked chrome, L28, seats, etc. really drops the appeal to me.  I am sure many others would like the car because of the appearance, upgraded interior, etc.  Also, many sell L28 as an "Upgrade" to the original 2.4.  But to me, nothing beats numbers matching and as close to factory as possible. Long term, I suspect those cars will be the ones that demand top dollar.

I think you're in popular company on this board with those views. My 73 240Z is numbers matching and modified with early bumpers and carburetors and 5 speed to name a couple of changes. It won't fetch the big bucks, though.

My 260Z is modified quite a bit including 240Z bumpers, early carburetors, and an L28. I was going to keep it numbers matching, but I got the rebuilt engine for far cheaper than I could have rebuilt the original.

I believe that too many in the modified camp think they will get dollar for dollar (or more) back. I just don't see it happening, at least for now.

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 4:57 PM, heyitsrama said:

Every time I see a dash cap it makes me sure that some of the restorations people do on their dash are well worth the time.

Its a fairly clean Z, what image is showing the left frame rail?

Here's a pic of the left frame rail. Compare it to the clean, sharp edges of the right rail where it meets the floor. The left rail has blobs that look like some tack welds. Oh, and you can see a sheet of new black metal under the lift's arm.

Chuck

floor.jpg