IGNORED

Xenon air dam, what is the trick?

grannyknot

xenon-3124-240Z-260Z-air-dam.jpg

Trying to mount  a Xenon air dam and I'm sure the flat part of the air dam that mounts just under the grill is suppose to be level but mine is pointing up in the air at about a 25* angle, is there is trick or do I have to make a brace or something to force it to level out?

The sides of the air dam where it mounts to the fenders and sugar scoops are level and fit well.

Thanks,

DSCN1355.JPGDSCN1356.JPGDSCN1358.JPG

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

Does it go on the inside or outside? I thought it went on the outside... I had planned on building a brace on the inside or else it will droop at speed and drag the ground

You made my heart stop there for a second but after having another look at it it has to mount on the inside of the sugar scoop or it won't a line with the wheel well arch

1 hour ago, SteveJ said:

Look here. I have one photo after I mounted the air dam and before I mounted the bumper. https://fiddlingwithzcars.wordpress.com/260z-air-dam-and-front-bumper/ I think the top angled back like yours.

Steve, I zoomed in on a couple of your pics and it looks like you have a bit of an angle but I don't think it is as steep as mine.

Maybe it just needs to be mounted for a while and it will relax some but I've seen lots of Z's with these air dams and they were flat. I guess I could heat it up and put a bit traction on it to persuade it to behave.

Open to any suggestions.

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

I left that metal limp behind mine, it's adjustable and adds some firmness.

Cliff, what is a metal limp? Put your beer down and use both fingers when typing.:P

I just went downstairs to check mine. It has a slight angle down, but it's not that noticeable. I'm not sure whether the angle decreased since that photo on my blog, or if the angle in the photo looks greater because the front end is slightly elevated.

4 hours ago, grannyknot said:

You made my heart stop there for a second but after having another look at it it has to mount on the inside of the sugar scoop or it won't a line with the wheel well arch

Steve, I zoomed in on a couple of your pics and it looks like you have a bit of an angle but I don't think it is as steep as mine.

Maybe it just needs to be mounted for a while and it will relax some but I've seen lots of Z's with these air dams and they were flat. I guess I could heat it up and put a bit traction on it to persuade it to behave.

Open to any suggestions.

Cliff, what is a metal limp? Put your beer down and use both fingers when typing.:P

Budweiser and auto-fill, bad combo. :D

The brace on the race car is an aluminum U channel that I made. Maybe 8"+ long and 2" wide. It's riveted to the bottom of the radiator support and the other end rests inside the lip of the air dam. This is from memory so I could be a little off. It's held up to 125+MPH and some contact with cars and a tire wall. The street car attached higher to the radiator support. That's about all I remember. I'll try to get pics tonight.

Chuck

• 4 years later...

I have/had the same problem. My right side seemed twisted up too. I got most of it fixed by leaving it the sun and then I put the car on my lift and tied a bungee cord around that twisted side to the lift to pull that side down. Had it under tension for about 3 days. It’s still isn’t perfect but I think it may get better as time goes on . It has to be a glitch in the manufacturing process. My air dam is currently off being painted to match the car but here is a pic of how it looked after tried to fix it. You can still see the right side it slightly twisted up and a smaller gap on that side. I plan to build a reinforcement system behind the air dam at a later date.
6b698a8eafad8862ee8b0a078faf540c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk