IGNORED

1981-1983 ZX 5 speed transmission

Zedyone_kenobi

Mine turns almost 2,500 rpms at 75 mph with a B type out of a '79 ZX 2+2, R180 differential.  I thought I was getting the Borg Warner close ratio most ZXs have when I bought the motor and transmission together but the 2+2 uses the wide 5 speed.  I was mad at first but it does fine for my light driving.

Have you tried zcarsource.com again?

Won't Zedy have the shifter hole problem?  Need to make it bigger or bend the rod.  Minor mod but still something to plan for.

The late 1980 ZX had the close ratio also, but with a .773 5th instead of .745.  Broadens the range 1/2 year.  About the same but a few RPM difference on the highway.  The wides have a .864 5th.

Get the later zx na gearbox. It workes great with the 3:9 diff. I have that setup in my car. And If I remember correctly (could be wrong) the zx box provides a better feeling (more exact) then the 280z box.

2 hours ago, madkaw said:

Your getting trannies mixed Cliff( I think that's an oxymoron )
Only turbos had the BW T-5 (81-83)
ZX (81-83)NON turbo had the close ratio. Preferred by most
Bolt in with no mods

Turbo requires mods but gives lots of shifter options

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Trannies are mixed up in the head and the now the bathrooms. ROFL