IGNORED

Greetings From The Great Pacific Northwet

Longtime lurker, finally registered. Been into the Z as long as it has been produced, although it was not until 1989 that I actually owned one. I started out as the typical American teenager, with muscle cars. A Chevelle or 3, as many Impalas (including a '66 SS 396 that I traded for a VW Beetle), a '71 Camaro (still own it) and a '65 Comet Caliente (wish I still had this one).

Picked up a '71 Z that had been raced since '79 in 1989. Ran some novice races, and then spent the winter of '89 ~ '90 completely rebuilding it.

The car was hideous when I picked it up, bright green on one side, blue on the other, with an orange stripe down the middle. The previous owner was known as a rolling chicane. I broke that chain and put the car where it belonged, in the winner's circle.

The car before it was mine (number 339 behind the nice looking red white and blue one):

33218995286_5537c392c3_b.jpg

The car as it looks today:

32405453813_3d5a32fb2c_b.jpg

The logbook dates to 1979, and has a long racing history in the Pacific Northwet running ICSCC (Conference) and SCCA road racing meets. It has been a lot of fun to race. I liked the Z so much that I now have 14 Z cars, although most of them are parts cars, parked out behind the shop. I did pick up a 2 owner car around 1995, here it is with the race car:

33226263312_84062b4c5d_b.jpg

Cheers, Racer.

Edited by Racer X

1 minute ago, wheee! said:

Welcome and can I just say.. Wow!
... need mor pics!

Thanks!

More pics? Check out my Flickr album here: Racer's Z and More

And I tried to create an album here, but it looks empty. Also looks like I created a second album too. The software this forum uses is unfamiliar to me, and is not very intuitive.

I'll get there eventually.

7 minutes ago, wheee! said:

I think the resto community here would love to see pics of your collection too!

You mean all the parts cars?

The brown and red Z's are my only 'complete' runners. I do have a couple more that have potential. But they are a ways off from seeing the road again.

5 minutes ago, wheee! said:

There are a lot of restorers here that track old VIN's too. Do you have 240's 260's and 280's or just all 240's?
Plus of course there are always people looking for parts...

I'll need to go out and make a list. A few 240's, a few 280's, a 280 2+2, and I think I have one 260, but can't recall for sure. Oh, and a '79 280ZX that I was going to fix for a guy and when I told him what the repairs would cost he sold it to me for $200. I made the repair (the heater valve in the dash) and drove the car for about 10 years or so. It was just a beater, but still fun to ride around in.

When the rain lets up I'll need to make take the time and get a tally, along with VIN'z. I have what was represented as a first year 240 that I got for free. The previous owner said his wife issued an ultimatum, and he had to get rid of a bunch of cars. I think he needed to trad in his wife.

My woman is very supportive of my hobbies. She knows very well that it keeps my attention focused at home, and away from thoughts of other women.

Edited by Racer X

• 3 years later...

So after a bit of a hiatus from here I have an update.

Mid August I was sent home from work for two weeks due to contact tracing, paid of course, but still, quarantine sucks, especially when the weather is nice.

So I cleaned up my shop a bit, aired up the tires and charged the battery on my '72 and it fired right up. It has been sitting in the corner of the shop for 22 years. I bought this car for Mrs. Racer 1.0 back in 1992 (I said earlier 1995, but I found the bill of sale, and it was 1992), and when we divorced she didn't want it. I drove it until 1998, and parked it.

So here it is with 22 years of dust, dirt, red overspray and spider poop. 

50231389861_13364e51fa_b.jpg1972 Datsun 240Z by Racer, on Flickr

It is a '72, built 11/71, numbers matching, original everything, except tires and brakes, 77,000 miles.

I've since washed it, went around it about 20 times with a buffer and rubbing compound, and then made an assessment. It will be getting some maintenance and repair items, and who knows what else.

50289427412_45f13031ac_b.jpg1972 Datsun 240Z by Racer, on Flickr

50292635041_d12f41ca04_b.jpgSunlight On The Z by Racer, on Flickr

I think I need to start a build thread.

Oh, and I counted my Z farm.

Six 240Z's

Six 280Z's

One 260Z

One 280Z 2+2

Not all have potential, but I do have plans for two of the 240Z's, and at least one of the 280Z's.

Edited by Racer X
  • Like 2