IGNORED

1971 Series I Project for $3K in Orlando

lonetreesteve

2 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

Ad says its a '71 so probably a S/N of 8xxx or higher.

Understood. I'm asking if it was 70 sub 2500 vin in the same condition. 

Edited by JSM

Based only on the pictures and write up in the ad as of today I would say that the asking price of $3000 is definitely to high, even if the car was a '70 around the 2500 s/n mark.  Without more pictures one must assume that much more rust is lurking underneath.

In general terms for series one cars, up to approx. SN 21000, value is more determined by condition and other factors until you get to very low numbers in the below 100 range or with a '69 production date. Of course this is my opinion.  My car is a 6xxx car with a 7'70 production date and was registered as a 1970 but I could only wish that it would be worth significantly more that a later series one car in same condition, in todays market that is not really the case, unless you get lucky and find the right buyer.

That being said the value of series one cars with production dates before 9'70 would have a small bump in value due to some one their unique features, like the 2400 valve cover. In my opinion for cars with 1970 production dates value is mainly set, in todays market, by condition, matching engine, and having all the correct parts that would have been on the car when it was delivered.  Documentation like original dealer invoice, owners manual and warranty book etc. are definite plus as well.  All of this has been discussed many times on this forum, and in a lot more detail by people much more knowledgeable than me, but I think it is still worth mentioning again.

HTH

Mike

Edited by CanTechZ

I would tend to agree the car wouldn't really have any value unless it was a sub 100 car. One of the very early cars is being redone. It looked like swiss cheese when he started. Even a sub 100 car would be worth less than $2000 to me. You are really just buying the title and the vin plates at this point. You will end up replacing or patching 80% of this car...

3 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

Based only on the pictures and write up in the ad as of today I would say that the asking price of $3000 is definitely to high, even if the car was a '70 around the 2500 s/n mark.  Without more pictures one must assume that much more rust is lurking underneath.

In general terms for series one cars, up to approx. SN 21000, value is more determined by condition and other factors until you get to very low numbers in the below 100 range or with a '69 production date. Of course this is my opinion.  My car is a 6xxx car with a 7'70 production date and was registered as a 1970 but I could only wish that it would be worth significantly more that a later series one car in same condition, in todays market that is not really the case, unless you get lucky and find the right buyer.

That being said the value of series one cars with production dates before 9'70 would have a small bump in value due to some one their unique features, like the 2400 valve cover. In my opinion for cars with 1970 production dates value is mainly set, in todays market, by condition, matching engine, and having all the correct parts that would have been on the car when it was delivered.  Documentation like original dealer invoice, owners manual and warranty book etc. are definite plus as well.  All of this has been discussed many times on this forum, and in a lot more detail by people much more knowledgeable than me, but I think it is still worth mentioning again.

HTH

Mike

Thanks. I looked at another car yesterday that was a 70, 24xx vin and he wanted $5k for it. I thought it was really high too. 

Both sides were like this and the floors were gone. 

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

On 3/19/2017 at 2:04 AM, loudoun said:

Is that hatch restorable? It looks pretty rotten!

Having restored a far less rusty 1, I'd say it would be a lot of work. Far easier to graft in the vents to a non-vented hatch. Literally the same in every other way...