IGNORED

valve spring shims

Very interesting that you are asking this question now.

It turns out that I have been working on a complete rebuild of a 280Z steering rack and the pinion bearings have an ID of 15mm, OD of 35mm, and are 12mm thick.  So what might this have to do with valve spring shims you might ask??

Well the only bearing that I could find with the correct ID and OD dimensions are 11mm thick and so I happened to run across an old thread on the Hybrid Z forum where a member was trying to do the same thing as I and ran into the same mismatch of thickness problem. You can find the thread here:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/45520-steering-rack-rebuild/

Well if you read down a couple of threads, a different member solved the problem by using a Nissan (I assume from a Z engine) valve spring shim to make up the difference on the bearing.  He indicates that the dimensions were exactly what was required and so from that I deduce that these shims have an OD of 35mm, ID of 15mm and are 1mm thick.  I have also been trying to find a source for these but no luck so far.  If you are able to locate some please post with your findings.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

Mike, thank you

i am thinking these may work. converting to inches 35mm =1.37mm and 15mm = .59

http://www.jegs.com/i/COMP-Cams/249/4754/10002/-1

these are 1.437 od and .645 id  which is close enough that they may work. ill pull a shim out tomorrow and verify the measurements just to be sure. 48 shims for $22 is almost cheap enough to take a chance

Edited by sweatybetty

SB,

I am assuming that you are looking for these for an L Series engine.

If so, I looked up the part numbers for the shims (Nissan calls them spring seats) and there are 2 per spring, one outer and one inner.

The part numbers are as follows:

Valve Spring Seat Outer - 13205-14600

Valve Spring Seat Inner - 13206-23000

Courtesy Parts shows them as being available albeit with new part numbers that supersede the ones I listed above.  They were pretty cheap so I ordered a couple to see if they will work in my rack rebuild application.

You may want to check them out.  Also very interested in getting your measurements once you pull out the shims.

Mike.

So a quick update on this thread.

I ended up ordering the OEM valve spring seats from Courtesy Parts and they arrived today.  These are the original ones called out for the OEM L6 engine that I was able to locate in the Datsun / Nissan digitized parts diagram CD.  I listed the part numbers in an earlier post.

Here are the exact dimensions for each of the shims / seats:

Outer - 35mm OD, 25.25mm ID, and 1mm thick. (This is exactly what I need for the rack rebuild that I referenced earlier).

Inner - 24.5mm OD, 12.3mm ID, 1mm thick.

You can still get these from Nissan but the outer ones are apparently in very limited supply.

Hope that helps.

Mike.