IGNORED

DIY Gland Nut Socket - With PICS!

Hardway

10 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

This 2" ID Square Tubing may do the trick:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=10355&step=4&showunits=inches&id=845&top_cat=849

For a long version, cut a 1' to 2' piece and weld a cross to the top to make a "T" to reduce non-rotating forces.

For a short version just cut 3" and weld a T handle to the side.

9k=

That is a good idea and I am sure you would find other uses for it too.  I will be interested to see how other alternatives work out.  Just as an update, I used the socket to remove the gland nut on the driver side strut and it came off just as easy as the other.

I bought new Tokico Blues and Eibachs for the 73......started on the passenger side rear......totally destroyed the gland nut. The tube is still perfect. Anyone have experience in drilling out the gland nut in sections? Gland nuts suck! 

IMG_3120.JPG

IMG_3121.JPG

IMG_3124.JPG

I used a dermel wheel to get close.....I'm going o try to drill several small holes from the edge of the dremel cut, then try to tap out sections....cross your fingers. Steve .....good idea, but I don't have one. These nuts really are a pain....and I've got three more struts to do.:confused:

Here is what the redneck in me would do if I was in your situation again, Guy:

1. Weld two 6mm bolts to a piece of steel with a cutout to go around the shaft of the strut.

2. Mark where the bolts strike the top of the gland nut and drill two holes in the gland nut. 

3. Apply a lot of brake fluid along the threads.

4. Heat the strut tube with a map gas torch.

5. While hot, apply more brake fluid along the threads.

6. Use the redneck wrench.

Of course, when I tackle the 240Z, I'm going to try Jim's socket trick after applying brake fluid to the threads on the struts for several days in advance.

• Like 1

Hmm, thinking about it, you could probably drill a couple of 5 or 6 mm holes in the gland nut and weld them in place. then you could heat the strut tube with a map gas torch and apply brake fluid to help break the rust loose. With the bolts welded in place, you could use them with the tongue and groove pliers to twist off the gland nut.

Hmmmmm.....now that would give me some torque.....I'll try that......drill two holes and thread a couple bolts in for something to grab with channel locks, but let me tell you.....this baby is really welded on. I used heat and brake fluid.....not a budge.