IGNORED

DIY Gland Nut Socket - With PICS!

Hardway

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:22 PM, SteveJ said:

I took a chance on a used 8 point on ebay. I will report back the results.

Cool. I was poking around a little more and found "axle lock nut sockets" that are the correct octagon shape, but I didn't look long enough to find one at 2". Let us know what you get from ebay!

Bow Chicka WOW WOW!

This company, near Denver might be worth checking ... appears to have 2" 8 point sockets in 3/4" or 1" drive.  Standard length, deep, or extra deep.  No idea of the cost on their web site, they have a 800 number or email.   I am guessing it will be expensive.

2 inch 8 point.JPG

2 inch 8 point xd socket.JPG

And if it is, it's probably the star design. You might be able to get creative and grind off the internal points of the stars and get it to fit. You don't need it fit full depth, just enough to get over the nut. That should be better than a 12 point because there would be more engagement.

I could probably hog an octagon out of a half inch thick chunk of steel. Good fit on the nut and use a pipe wrench on the outside. Would probably take less time to grind the points off an appropriate sized star design.

One thing though... I know on must nuts and bolts, the size protocol is determined by the flat-to-flat measurement. I'm not sure if they use the same convention and measure them that way. It may be 2" point-to-point. I haven't looked into it, but @SteveJ will know soon enough!  :)

On 2017-03-09 at 11:32 PM, SteveJ said:

Flat to flat is 2 inches on the KYB I just took out of the box.

This 2" ID Square Tubing may do the trick:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=10355&step=4&showunits=inches&id=845&top_cat=849

For a long version, cut a 1' to 2' piece and weld a cross to the top to make a "T" to reduce non-rotating forces.

For a short version just cut 3" and weld a T handle to the side.

9k=