IGNORED

Del-A-Lum LCA bushings

Does anyone know who makes Del-A-Lum LCA bushings for Datsun front LCA's. Specifically 240Z-280Z? Not looking for Poly and not looking for Mono-Ball. Specifically want the Del-A-lum style. 

These are for Third Gen Camaro's, but I want a similar product. 

DSC02517.jpg

DSC02519.jpg

I love this style of bushings. Have been using them since the mid-90's on all of my Camaro autocross/hillclimb cars. Many of my competitors also use them These really are a superior bushing for the street. Poly deflects too much and has other issues. Monoballs are fine for dedicated track cars, but tend to transmit too much noise on the street. Plus they do wear out over time.

The Del-A-Lum bushings ( Ground Control has them for Domestics and Bimmers ) use a thin Delrin liner which is greasable. Delrin is much stiffer than Poly and is self lubricating. I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine. He just pulled the Del-A-Lum bushings out of his 1981 Trans-Am ( Hillclimb/Autocross/ Track Day car ) . 200,000 km on them and they look like new.   Never any issues with squeaking. I've gone from Poly LCA bushings to Del-Alum and the difference in stiffness was noticable. Plus no binding at all in the LCA. 

Might be a market for these if someone made them for Z cars and 510's. Relatively easy to machine up.  I'd certainly buy a set. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Chickenman, Those are cool.

Never having messed with such entities... What keeps the Delrin from spinning in the outer aluminum shell? Just pressed in?

Yep. Just pressed in. I'm not sure if it  really matters if the Delrin center sleeve spins. The grease groove is 360 degrees.  Been a long time ( 1999 )  since I installed them in my Camaro and I sold the car back in 2006. Was a daily driver for me. New owner still has them in with zero issues. Greases them once a year.  

JMortensen at Hybrid Z said:

Not the best choice for the front. I used them in the rear, but the issue up front is that as the suspension moves up and down it does so on an arc, following the TC rod. The delrin in these bushings is very stiff, so it doesn't allow this to happen very easily.

I'd much rather have a rod end in front. The thin, hard delrin bush isn't saving you any NVH.

Also adjusting camber with these changes bumpsteer, so if you care about that these make it a lot harder to adjust the bumpsteer out.

I just got off the phone with Byron Mestin from " The510Realm ". He's one of our local fabricators and mentioned the same issue. You'll get binding in the suspension on most cars with a Tension Rod located LCA. GM's  use a two pivot location method on their LCA's, so it doesn't have that issue. 

Was just going to post up that it was a bad idea, but you beat me to it.

BNIB Beck Arnley front LCA bushings are only $5.67 each from RA, so I've ordered those. Should be good enough for my purposes. 

JM also mentioned this at the thread on Hybrid Z . So not such a " Hot " idea after all.