IGNORED

Hints on removing stuck locknut on tie rod ends

sdyck

I have my front suspension all apart except for the tie rod ends. I probably should have broken the tie rod end locking nuts loose before I took it all apart, now it's hard to get a good hold on it.  I need to confirm which direction to turn the lock nut, on the passenger side I'm turning it right to left. To brake it loose. On th driver side I understand it is a reverse thread so I'm thinking left to right. Is that right?

thanks

34 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I used a 24" pipe wrench on mine and a crescent wrench on the square at the end of the threads.  Laid it on the floor and stood on the handle, my bench vise wasn't working.  It was lifting my my work bench.  I had turned it the wrong way until it was too tight.  Now I know one's reversed threaded. LOL

I love that you are so blatantly honest Cliff.....the rest of us screw up all the time, we just don't admit it!!!  You've got no pride.....I'd love to have a beer with you sometime....Hell maybe 5 or 6!   Guy.  :D

Edited by Diseazd
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, siteunseen said:

What you see is what you get.  I can't stand pompous people, although my life is full of them, being full of themselves. LOL

I'm the first to point out my mistakes and the first to correct them.  Southern boy and very proud to say that.  Thank you for the compliment. :)

I take pride in my mistakes. Those are opportunities to learn. Sometimes I learn that I can be pretty stupid.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

I take pride in my mistakes. Those are opportunities to learn. Sometimes I learn that I can be pretty stupid.

My saying at work is "tuition". When we mess something up, break something or learn the hard way we call that "tuition" ie. the cost of learning...

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 2/27/2017 at 10:04 PM, gundee said:

With the suspension together on car, you attach wrench from bottom and push both locknuts towards the rear of car to loosen.

Hope that explains it enough for you to figure out.

I hope I'm doing this right.  With me standing over the steering rack that's laying on the floor, oriented like it came out of the car, does that mean I put the wrench on the lock nuts from above, and pull towards the front of the car?  Thanks!

Jim's Steering Rack.jpg