IGNORED

L26 Oil Pressure Troubleshooting

heyitsrama

Howdy,

Was able to get the motor running yesterday.

I set everything TDC and realized that the dizzy shaft was 180* off. It makes sense why the motor was "backfiring" through the carb, the timing was off and perhaps a valve was still open when the little spark cam through. So I dropped the oil pump (3rd time) and got the dizzy shaft installed correctly. I noticed however on the restart of the motor after that initial "start" the starter seemed to struggle to rotate everything. (Bat tested 12.25v)

I only ran it for a couple of seconds (1-2 tops), turned it off to inspect for leaks // oil. I noticed that the rocker chamber was super dry, no oil dry. Which is strange because a couple weeks back I was able to get oil to the top end, through the external oil bar.

So I removed the oil pump again(4th time), attempted to prime it like the second time, although on each time since its been open after the 2nd time, I always prime it. Testing was done with no spark plugs, motor spins right up.

I digress, when I removed the oil pump yesterday I realized that the pump seems to be half filled in each chamber (fill//return) so I spun the dizzy shaft and kept putting oil into the fill, noticed a few bubbles in there. Perhaps that was the cause of the issue. But why would the fill be half empty? That would imply that the pump fill strainer is not getting the correct amount of oil? Does the fact that the car is on the driveway on 4 jacks stands make a difference for oil level? I would assume the strainer is still submerged.

I had to stop working last night due to rain, but it's kinda concerning that the block has not been getting oil while I was testing ignition issues.

I'm kinda stuck on which way I should approach the testing, especially because it was getting oil prior to the 3rd removal.

I should also get the oil pressure gauge sorted out. Seems like a wiring thing.

If you made it all the way down here thanks for reading all that, if not

TLDR : I had oil pressure, now I don't.