IGNORED

Factory option S30 S130 footrest

RIP260Z

Rare S30/S130 option factory footrest. Not an aftermarket fitment that some mistake these for, nor a re-production.

These are rather useful for your passenger to use, especially to brace against whist the car is being spiritly driven. Your driver, gets to hold the steering wheel!

My understanding is this for sale is the S130 option footrest, though I am only really going by seeing this type listed as such on Yahoo Japan. But it could easily be a different type for the S30 range, there are two different part numbers listed on the original S30 parts number book, and also I have seen about 5 versions of S30/S130 option footrest. So, it is not a done deal which model this one was originally for and very few people do with a good level of certainty. Thus it should fit the 280zx (known as the 280z in the Japanese domestic market), should also fit the S30 range. I take, though not fully sure, the main difference is the position of the feet, the S30 face in, whilst the S130 has one foot face out (see pictures). This means the fixing bolts (to the floor) are about 35mm further apart than the S30 (which is approx. 275mm centre to centre). The length (or width depending how you view it in your footwell) is approx. 345mm. This version has the inner foot higher than the outer (if fitted to a RHD car), where the hoop pivots from. Thus, the footrest will sit at an angle, so it may require spacer to bring to a more level plane (though the original floor may accommodate this). The new longer bolts will help with this.

These are fairly common in Japan, but not often found outside in comparison. Very few export S30/S130’s had this option fitted, mostly find these on the Fairlady Z’s imported out of Japan (and obviously the home Japanese market). This footrest is not the option the Datsun Roadster SP/SR311 which is chrome with black feet, and the feet are attached in a different way, I know as have seen one and I am doing a reproduction of this footrest. I think you see chrome footrests on the S30 Japan show cars launched in 1969, but these are most like the option roadster one.

This one was brought in from Japan as a used item (though still not a bargain plus handling fee from my proxy bidder, shipping and import tax). Paint stripped, then filed, wet and dry sanded to smooth. New bolts inserted into feet, with new Nissan nuts and washers. One of these feet was bent, and required bending back, but it left a slight wave in the bottom of the foot, though it sits flat. It’s difficult bending 5mm steel back into an exact shape without damaging the rivet and rest of the footrest.

Once sanded smooth, it was powder coated in gloss black. Before coating I have also tried to smooth out the feet, as these rust, and pit, hence why there is dimples in the finish, mainly on the underside. Metal sitting in damp carpet and wet footwear is the reason for the rusting out over the years. Little bit of cracking of the new powder coating around the rivets, but that is to be expected, the hoop is designed to move. Even on the originals, paint is missing from the outer part of the rivet.

The vast majority of the time you see these option footrests they are missing the ribbed rubber part, or its ripped. I have a footrest of my own, and as I restore it, I wanted it too look correct. There is a part number for this ribbed part, but that is NLA. After a long look at ribbed floor mats and other sources, (even tracing a lead when I was in Australia) for the correct look. Even asking a seller of "in the style of" S30 footrests didn't want to help. To no avail, as usual, do it yourself. The footrest rubber (from what I gather it is not made of rubber but PVC) is designed to fit on the round bar hoop, even if you find something close (e.g. a floor matting) it will change the look as the matting is designed to be laid flat rather than the tight circumference of the hoop. So I decided to make my own.

Took the dimensions off an old broken one, drew a sketch, then I paid someone to make this design into a CAD drawing. After a couple of prototypes (one printed just with a slit in to allow attachment to the hoop) and short versions to work out the correct diameter) then finalizing on this two piece split version, with locating castellation’s. The number and style of the ribs is the same as the original, I did make the top (plateau) of the ribs about 0.5mm wider as I made the internal diameter slightly larger to aid gluing (see below- but you can’t tell unless you marry it up to an original). And thus 3D printed in plastic, it has a different feel than the original, I just updated it to last longer under your feet, but still look right and considering most would not use it as they take pride in having a pristine S30. I made the diameter of this ribbed part a bit bigger, as I didn't want a tight fit, so when glued (with two part epoxy Arildite) it didn't squeeze everywhere, between the joins, out the ends and then be a pain to clean.

The photos should be self explainable.....

So, for sale is a fully restored option footrest. To purchase, ship and restore, with no proportion of the CAD drawing but all the printing costs, all this mount up, this is why the price is what it is I am afraid.

Many aspire for the JDM look, add the footrest to your look.

$290 plus shipping.

Europe, USA, Australia, shipped with courier within 4/5 working days. Shipping, about $40.

DSCF1899.JPG

footrest bare with old rubber.JPG

DSCF1423.JPG

DSCF1891.JPG

DSCF1886.JPG

DSCF1890.JPG

DSCF1895.JPG

DSCF1897.JPG

DSCF1892.JPG

DSCF1896.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...