IGNORED

wiring harness restoration parts?

Stanley

Searched the electrical forum but couldn't find much. It would help to get a link or two. Need to do some troubleshooting of the ignition system. Unraveled a harness, found some corrosion and other surprises. Don't want to do a big electrical job, don't feel qualified, but looks like I might get stuck with it. Got and read some troubleshooting books, and watched some videos about soldering and crimp connectors. Seems easy enough, and maybe it is, but wondering what to do when I get to one of the many stock multi-connectors. If I find a burned or corroded one, or if I accidentally mangle one while trying to "fix" it, are they still available ?

• Like 1

These guys carry some proper connectors, http://vintageconnections.com/ 

Also, vinegar is your friend, if you have any connectors that are corroded clean any grease off them with carb or brake cleaner spray then submerge the whole connector in vinegar for a few hours, works beautifully. Make sure the battery is disconnected when you it.

6 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

These guys carry some proper connectors, http://vintageconnections.com/ 

Also, vinegar is your friend, if you have any connectors that are corroded clean any grease off them with carb or brake cleaner spray then submerge the whole connector in vinegar for a few hours, works beautifully. Make sure the battery is disconnected when you it.

After the vinegar, I suggest a solution of baking soda followed by a rinse of denatured alcohol. The baking soda neutralizes the vinegar, and the denatured alcohol will help get rid of residual water.

• Like 1

I found Vintage Connections to be an excellent supplier.  If you purchase connectors and terminals, make sure you also buy the small and large terminal removal tools (not v. expensive and worth every penny) and a ratcheting terminal crimping tool (VC has one for under $50 that produces good results with a bit of practice).

For the terminals that go into the shells, I found this type crimping tool works perfectly and is much cheaper. http://www.frys.com/product/1922790?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG The jaws are shaped to curve the ends back into the wire. One caveat is that I usually close down on the terminal slightly with some pliers or the end of the crimping tool itself. The lack of a ratcheting feature is a bonus because it will open up quickly and easily if the wire slips out.

Also, it's not that bad of a drive for Stanley to go up to Manhattan Beach Frys store.

Thanks, looks like vintage connections has the right multi-connectors and terminals. I'll print out the catalog page so I can have it in front of me while I'm checking out the engine bay and other areas. Might get a kit or just individual parts. Called Fry's; they've got that crimper; need a better one than what I've got now that likes to bite terminals in half. Might use shrink-wrap instead of OEM sleeving though, or maybe liquid "tape".

I see they've two sizes of extractor tool, probably cheaper than buying a set, unless Sears has a screwdriver set I need that has it. Read somewhere Sears is selling Craftsman. I like the lifetime guarantee; they gave me a free 12 mm combo wrench last year when I messed one up, no waiting.

Edited by Stanley

The only pieces that I can't find are the engine harness to dash harness (C1-C7) connectors and 3 prong headlight connectors...... otherwise vintage connections has a good amount. I do like this harness wrap I got for old Mercedes cars. I'll have to look for the part number.

Also 3m electrical tape is worth the money.

You also might want to get those cylinder gauge crimps, several are used throughout the harness.

On 2/22/2017 at 3:39 AM, SteveJ said:

After the vinegar, I suggest a solution of baking soda followed by a rinse of denatured alcohol. The baking soda neutralizes the vinegar, and the denatured alcohol will help get rid of residual water.

I would be very cautious about using any form of acid for cleaning.  That acid will be wicked up onto the stranded wire in the crimp and on up the wire to cause corrosion in the wire itself.  I have replaced too many wires in my life, working on industrial control equipment, that has been exposed to just water and has corrosion running up in the wire.  You start stripping the insulation off to crimp a connector on and will find yourself several feet back before you find clean bright wire again.  The denatured alcohol will displace some of the water but I would not trust it to get all of it.

Now if you only dip the blade of the terminal I would think it might be OK, although I would use a product made for contact cleaning and avoid the acid.