IGNORED

new garage

cbuczesk

4 minutes ago, Kurbycar32 said:

So do you need to drag the toolbox from room to room often?  That silver Z looks a lot like mine, any more pictures?

There are only to "work" rooms so moving the big box isn't a problem. The smaller room will be the clean room for simple tasks and painting. I'll prep the race car, change oil, change brakes, etc. SImple stuff. The big room (20x30) is for all the major work - cutting, welding, grinding, sanding, etc.

The silver Z is a 1972 240Z turbo, 5-speed. It used to be my daily driver. I'd take it to bike rides and races. Excellent car! The attached pic is my old 1975 280Z race car, 240Z turbo and 260Z turbo.

Chuck

3Zs.jpg

Sweet!!!  That is a great set up you have there.  I like the fact that you have a separate room for completed projects and a separate work area.

How much square footage do you have?  What kind of heating do you have?  I am hoping to build my own Garage Mahal in about 4 years when I retire and move to a spot with more land.  Any advise you would care to share?

Marty

15 hours ago, Marty Rogan said:

Sweet!!!  That is a great set up you have there.  I like the fact that you have a separate room for completed projects and a separate work area.

How much square footage do you have?  What kind of heating do you have?  I am hoping to build my own Garage Mahal in about 4 years when I retire and move to a spot with more land.  Any advise you would care to share?

Marty

The garage area is 40x82. The barn area is 40x20 and there's an 8' overhang at each end to cover the stall entrance and hay/tractor on the other side. I'm getting a mini split heat pump system to heat/cool the two bays. The storage area won't be heated/cooled.

Advice: Draw and re-draw your plans. Most of my cars are about 14' long so I need to be able to work on them without ever having to move anything. My Road Runner is 18' and I'll be able to paint it on the rotisserie so I know that everything fits. LED lights are great! Try to save up so you can pay other people to do all of the work. I helped with wiring, drywall, building stalls, etc. That might not sound like much work but on a large building it is. Insulate well! I have R19 in the walls. I chose drywall over metal walls since it's easier mount cabinets on flat drywall as opposed to wavy metal. Drywall is also absorbs hammering sounds better than metal. Shop around and find a good, honest builder. Estimates for my building ranged from $60k-135k. $60k was great but he didn't include concrete and other things that I asked for so I lost trust in him. I ended up using Franklin Builders and I'm very happy with them. My brother is having them build a 60x80 garage in about a month.

Chuck

I also had Champion floor pots installed in the concrete. They mount flush with the floor and have a chain anchor inside that's used to pull frames. Since I race a 240Z and restore cars as a hobby it seemed like a great idea for $250. Have them installed when they pour the concrete. Having holes drilled later costs much more!

Chuck

I like the wagon too. It's stock except for a 5-speed. There's a bunch of new parts that came with it. I've been so busy with the new house and garage that I haven't gone through the car yet. It's very solid for an east coast car. The 620KC is a bit of an underdog too. I did a mechanical restoration on it and also did the interior.

Chuck