IGNORED

280z Rear speaker enclosure

Jaymanbikes

Looking for some detail on the rear speaker enclosure like MSA sells for 2 6x9's. and replaces the stock rear plastic panel over the tail lights They have been out of stock for sometime on the one for 1977.  I had already purchased the low profile Retrosound speakers needed for its installation.   Thanks for you assistance !

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

What kind of info are you looking for?  I have this MSA panel for my '71 and it looks great.  I have some assembly pics here:  

I am looking for some dems to get me started.  Maybe a pic if possible.  I have a friend who has one in his 71 240 but its significantly larger than the one needed in my 280z.  Was hoping to not have to completely engineer the panel from scratch.  

On February 19, 2017 at 1:11 AM, Jaymanbikes said:

Looking for some detail on the rear speaker enclosure like MSA sells for 2 6x9's. and replaces the stock rear plastic panel over the tail lights They have been out of stock for sometime on the one for 1977.  I had already purchased the low profile Retrosound speakers needed for its installation.   Thanks for you assistance !

I ended up mocking it up from cardboard, built the box in two pieces so that the spare can be accessed without issue.    I had already purchased the Retrosound speakers but others will work for sure.  Sounds much better than the little separate speaker pods.  I assume because they are tilted slightly up and sound bounces off the glass.  

image.jpeg

Edited by Jaymanbikes

This might be a little late for you but my '78 280Z came with the MSA speaker panel from the PO. I swapped the original carpet material covering it for the same material I used to reupholster my seats. Here are some pics including the "inside" of the box with my speaker set up.

image-3.jpeg20160729_132156.jpgrear deck finished post.pngDSC01736.JPG

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dmoralesbello said:

This might be a little late for you but my '78 280Z came with the MSA speaker panel from the PO. I swapped the original carpet material covering it for the same material I used to reupholster my seats. Here are some pics including the "inside" of the box with my speaker set up.

image-3.jpeg20160729_132156.jpgrear deck finished post.pngDSC01736.JPG

Thank you!  Very similar to what I ended up building.  Ive been meaning to ask you, where did you get your rear strut bar? 

• 1 year later...
38 minutes ago, d9inger said:

very nice, thanks for posting this. I'm going to have to make my enclosure, MSA said the guy who was making them retired and they haven't found someone willing to make them.

Dave

Dave, I found it helpful to make a template from cardboard, it’s kind of a funky shape and different on both sides.  

Edited by Jaymanbikes

I see that from the MSA site, the guy I talked to said that this picture was of an actual 8/76-78 280Z profile but the other pictures of it were a 240Z

I figure I'll have to order the speakers, figure out the depth and do the "cardboard" thing to get the profile. 

Dave

Picture1.jpg