IGNORED

Hate spotwelds?

Patcon

I recently aquired this because I hate spot welds and I thought it might help out. I found this one at a great deal on Ebay. We will see...

20170211_172257[1].jpg

Air powered and has a rear lever for applying pressure. Adjustable depth, so you can just drill through the top layer(s)

• Like 3

Yes, I believe it is but the collar is what helps apply pressure and keep it square. There are a lot of areas where you would have to make access or do it freehand. I don't have a need for it currently but I was just surfing around and found this one with a lot of extra bits. They retail for $300-400 which is too much for my limited use. I found this one for like $175 or something. So I got a new toy, I mean tool!

11 hours ago, grannyknot said:

So does the bit just cut through the first layer or both?

Is that a thumbscrew right under the fulcrum of the main lever that lets you control the depth of your cut?

I like the concept, but except for open-access areas where you're able to use the collar, it would seem to be just an air-powered drill with a set of spot-weld cutter bits.  The sleeve mount for the collar looks like it will allow a max throat opening of maybe 1-1/2"?

Blair is evidently one of the biggest companies in the spot weld tool market. I have used their spot weld cutters but they are very brittle because they are very hard. It is important to keep the bit really square to the work. If not it will chip and be toast. This tool isn't the end all but should be usable on most welds. It will be a little while before I have a need for it I believe. We'll see...