IGNORED

selling a 240Z for estate - please help

foreignaffairs

I believe that this is a mid 20's car on BAT. The history could bring that up a bit, but I still don't believe that is would break the 30K mark. I just went back and took a look at the history of these on that site. This is a #2 car and the 1973 is not bringing what the 1972 and earlier cars are bringing yet. I would consider this car a great refresh not restoration, a restoration was probably not warranted but it does make a difference. Just my 2 cents and I am at times surprised. JLP

Edited by JLPurcell
  • Like 1

I would tend to agree with Jerry. I was talking about this car at lunch with @Patcon. I think if you could get 2 or 3 people in an auction who really want a one-owner 240Z, it might go higher.

The problems with the Hagerty valuation are 1) they tend to run high IMHO and 2) they group the 73 with the earlier 240Zs. Within the North American 240Z community, the 73 isn't considered as favorably as the 72 and the Series 1 cars.

@Carl Beck could probably give a better idea of what the higher end cars are swapping hands for these days.

I submitted grannyknot's car to BAT, it was accepted, and the extra exposure I am sure helped drive the final price on Ebay.   BAT has quite a following now, the S30's get a lot of attention.   Worked out perfect.

I think the op's car is a high 20's car.   Comes with lots of provenance.

• Like 1

The Hagerty and other Classic, Collectible and Special Interest Value Guides - are all based on Pure Stock examples. As they left either the Factory or the Show Room Floor. If the subject vehicle isn’t pure Stock - the values there really don’t directly apply.  They do however give us one benchmark to consider, but in general any modifications or variations reduce the market values. (of course we can all quote exceptions to any/all rules).

If this 240Z had actually been Restored to Concours Quality #1/#2 standards  - $45K to $55K today and sold to a private collector pretty quickly.  As nice and beautiful as it is.. it is still a high end Enthusiast 240Z (Condition #3).. reach the right buyer that loves the Metallic Brown, loves the one previous owner status along with the original documents… it should bring $25K to $30K fairly quickly. It is in a good market area - Lexington is an easy reach from most of the Central and Eastern population.

Start with a one owner 73 always garage kept and well cared for..with relatively low mileage (less than 100K), rust free body in very presentable condition - easy $18K to $21K.. then add a couple years work and another $30K to completely refresh it - you might be able to duplicate this one.  $25K to $30K would be a bargain. I believe more people are starting to realize it at this point.  

I wouldn’t be afraid to put it on BAT with a reserve of $30K… 

I'll run it by a few people I know.. see if there is any  interest ..
good luck,
Carl B.

Oh... AGREED - good photos sell 240Z's - get it up on a lift and get good undercarriage photos.. very important..

Edited by Carl Beck
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Carl Beck said:
The Hagerty and other Classic, Collectible and Special Interest Value Guides - are all based on Pure Stock examples. As they left either the Factory or the Show Room Floor. If the subject vehicle isn’t pure Stock - the values there really don’t directly apply.  They do however give us one benchmark to consider, but in general any modifications or variations reduce the market values. (of course we can all quote exceptions to any/all rules).

If this 240Z had actually been Restored to Concours Quality #1/#2 standards  - $45K to $55K today and sold to a private collector pretty quickly.  As nice and beautiful as it is.. it is still a high end Enthusiast 240Z (Condition #3).. reach the right buyer that loves the Metallic Brown, loves the one previous owner status along with the original documents… it should bring $25K to $30K fairly quickly. It is in a good market area - Lexington is an easy reach from most of the Central and Eastern population.

Start with a one owner 73 always garage kept and well cared for..with relatively low mileage (less than 100K), rust free body in very presentable condition - easy $18K to $21K.. then add a couple years work and another $30K to completely refresh it - you might be able to duplicate this one.  $25K to $30K would be a bargain. I believe more people are starting to realize it at this point.  

I wouldn’t be afraid to put it on BAT with a reserve of $30K… 

I'll run it by a few people I know.. see if there is any  interest ..
good luck,
Carl B.

Oh... AGREED - good photos sell 240Z's - get it up on a lift and get good undercarriage photos.. very important..

And this level of detail is why I tagged Carl.