IGNORED

Steam coming off manifold

superj243

When I start my car steam comes out of the side of the Motor, looks like it's coming from the same area as my exhaust manifold. Is my head gasket blown? I keep checking my oil and my oil looks fine, I did notice some antifreeze around my thermostat and valve cover gasket too.  What do you think is going on? 

I'd suspect that the coolant visible along the valve cover gasket is dripping, oozing, etc down onto the exhaust manifold and turning to steam. If you can collect a drop of the suspect liquid, put it on the HOT exhaust manifold. If it steams, it's coolant. If it smokes, it's oil.

When I'm looking for the source of leaks, I always start at the rear and trace the leak forward on the car. When I can't find anymore liquid going forward, then I look up. Works every time. In this case the coolant alongside the valve cover is coming from up forward. Likely the thermostat housing or something close to it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, S30Driver said:

You don't mention if the coolant level is changing in the overflow reservoir.  Have you been monitoring it?

How long has this been going on?   Could be a number of things, frost plug corrosion, etc.

My reservoir has a hole in it and hasn't held fluid the whole 6 years I've had the car.  It doesn't look like my radiator is low on fluid though, still at the top, she started this yesterday when I started her. I drove her home from work Sunday, and she had a hard time starting which isn't normal.  I keep a close eye on everything so I would've noticed.

10 hours ago, gnosez said:

What does it smell like (coolant, oil)?

Carbs or FI?

If carbs is the coolant tube leaking?

It ONLY happens when you start it?

More info will help someone smarter than me figure this out....

FI, I haven't let it run long just 2 min with the steam. It smells like coolant to me because it doesn't smell like smoke. 

• 6 months later...
On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 9:09 PM, S30Driver said:

You don't mention if the coolant level is changing in the overflow reservoir.  Have you been monitoring it?

How long has this been going on?   Could be a number of things, frost plug corrosion, etc.

That's what I was thinking.......freeze plug. Generally leaks are not difficult to find.