IGNORED

35 mm film developing find

siteunseen

I had some people move out of a rental I have. They left a dark room in the attic with all kinds of stuff.  I don't know anyone that uses film anymore and would like to sale it CHEAP.  It's Saunders stuff, 6700 & 6600 I think, enlarger and condensor maybe?  Dark holding boxes, pans & GraLab timers.  Stainless film containers with wooden tweezers and plastic beakers.  The whole setup with a couple of microscope looking things too.  If anybody knows anything about this kind of stuff and could offer some advice I would be grateful for any help.

Thank you, Cliff.

Sounds like you got some good stuff.  The 6700 is a color enlarger that's well regarded.  I have a B&W darkroom setup.  Prices on eBay run around $400 for the enlarger.  You probably have a few hundred bucks more in other items unless you decide to take on a new hobby.

Dennis

• Like 1

I still shoot 35mm, I only work with B&W CR-41 film. The color shots I send to a lab here in SF.

I am looking for a development tank. They are typically black plastic, have a plastic reel inside them. My old ones reel broke.
Any old rolls of film? Or those plastic organization sheets?

Here some shots I got back the other day...

I need to get my Z on the road so I can take more pictures with it... :/

IMG_0543.JPGIMG_0541.JPGIMG_0538.JPG
IMG_0528.JPG

As an art major back in the 70's I minored in photography. I will check to see if I have any extra development tanks. Mine are all stainless steel. I still have a Beseler 45 series motor drive enlarger, trays, easles etc... Or they seem to be available on ebay at a reasonable price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikor-Stainless-Steel-Film-Processing-Developing-Tank-with-120-reel-/162387521912?hash=item25cf0cf178:g:PT4AAOSwnHZYmifW

I can't begin to tell you how may hours/days/months/years I've spent in the darkroom. The smells of Dektol and Fixer are instantly reminded to me.  Dennis is right, once you find the right buyer.  That microscope thing you mention sound like what is used to focus with, a grain focuser.  

Reminds me of an old joke.  

Two girls are watching a photographer making a photograph with one of the girls explaining to the other each step the photographer is doing.  And she says "next, he's gonna Focus."  The girl next to her looks shocked and says "Bouf Us?"

Sorry, I had to let that one out……...

I've still have all my old stuff too, except for the enlarger.

• Like 1

That is hilarious!  Thanks for starting my Saturday off with a good belly laugh, glad I'd already swallowed my coffee.  I've never heard that one but will retell it many times I'm sure.

Yes those have "focuser" on the boxes, brand new still in bubble wrap.  One's about a foot tall, the other about half as tall.  Y'all got me excited over this stuff, can't wait to post pictures of all I have.

focus bouf  ROFL

I learned to deve!op film and print B&W photos in 1970 when I was in the Air Force.  Eventually got all the darkroom equipment with the thought that it would be a great hobby when I retired.  When we bought our current house in the late 1980s part of the appeal was that the garage had a sink and counter space that would be percfect for my eventual retirement darkroom hobby

Then, somebody invented the digital camera.  All the equipment sits unused in a cabinet in the garage.

Dennis

Sad. I owned several cameras and a couple nice medium formats too. I worked as a professional photographer in the 80's before I got into the printing industry. I built a couple dark rooms but by the time they were finished, we moved! I still hold on to a lot of my old equipment. One of my treasures is a 1976 Canon Ftb-QL with 1.4 50mm from the 1976 Commonwealth Games in Montreal. It has the special edition lens cap. Haven't used it in 30 years though....

There must be millions of once loved film cameras and expensive lenses stashed away in closets, attics, and garages just waiting to be thrown away or displayed on a shelf as a curious object from a long gone era.

There still is one local camera shop that sells 35mm film and developing chemicals along with photo paper.  No more Fotomat One Hour Photo stands, however.  The days of dropping off a roll of film and wondering how the prints would turn out are long gone.

Dennis

38 minutes ago, psdenno said:

I learned to deve!op film and print B&W photos in 1970 when I was in the Air Force.  Eventually got all the darkroom equipment with the thought that it would be a great hobby when I retired.  When we bought our current house in the late 1980s part of the appeal was that the garage had a sink and counter space that would be percfect for my eventual retirement darkroom hobby

Then, somebody invented the digital camera.  All the equipment sits unused in a cabinet in the garage.

Dennis

When the guy told me he was leaving it all and I should sale it I told him I don't know anyone that owns a 35mm camera, we all have cameras in our pockets. :)

I have about 4 throw away cameras from the late 90s I used during Mardi Gras over the years.  I'm scared to get them developed, I'm sure they are full of nude pictures of the drunk girls we had around us.  The small town I live in, the only developers wouldn't give them to me and say I need to go to church.