IGNORED

tires: 205 vs. 215

280z

I'm way overdue for new tires for my '75. I currently have on a set of Cooper 215/60r14 tires. My rims are 7 inches wide if I remember correctly. A new set of tires in that size will cost me about $94 a pop. However I can get a set of 205/60r14 tires for $50 each. I love how the 215s look, but are they worth paying nearly double for?? What do you guys think??

Edited by 280z

I don't think the difference is worth it.  That's the problem with the 14" size, few choices and what's available is getting pricey.

For comparison, last fall I bought a set of Sumitomo's for the colder weather (can't run my Dunlop's below 50 degrees) 215 60 15's for $276 shipped from Tires-Easy.com.  Very pleased with them.

• Like 1

50 degrees? The Direzza ZII Star Spec says not to be run at or near freezing, but 50F?? That doesn't sound right. 

Quote from Tire Rcak:

While this means the Direzza ZII Star Spec's tread compound accommodates a wider operating temperature range, it is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

the 215 is a Nexen CP641 All-Season Tire. the 205 is an Antares Ingens A1. I've used nexens on my civic and liked them, never heard of Antares Ingens. the extra $200 does sound outrageous, but I'm afraid I'll regret going cheap if I go with the 205. Is there a performance benefit with the wider tire?

8 hours ago, Chickenman said:

50 degrees? The Direzza ZII Star Spec says not to be run at or near freezing, but 50F?? That doesn't sound right. Quote from Tire Rcak:

Chickenman        A poor choice of words on my part.  I should have said, don't like to run them when the temps go below 50 degrees and at night nears freezing.   The Star Specs like warm weather,  April thru October here.

14 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

I'm cool with 205s, my issue right now is finding a affordable, light wheel, in 15". Tire of choice is Dunlop Z102.

Ah.. gotcha. I had a set of Hankook Evo S2's that liked warm weather as well. They were useless in the rain or when  the ambient temps got down. 

Ah.. gotcha. I had a set of Hankook Evo S2's that liked warm weather as well. They were useless in the rain or when  the ambient temps got down. 

Z102 have pretty good wet weather traction, my buddy just got some for his CRX and he really like them, he's spending most of his time in the mountains of SantaCruz. Nice CRX as well, has a little Jackson racing super charger, the only thing really holding it back is the transmission gearing.

I think I might go buy some 15" wheels just to run the dunlops, something about the dry traction is gives, and the great tread wear really impressed me the first time. I actually don't like the current Michelins that my daily driver has. I would have got another set, but the tire/wheel combo was all off for the daily.

Have never liked Michelins. They last a long time. But they do that by turning into granite as the tread wear gets below 50%.  Horrible in the wet on used Michelins. Here in the PNW it rains a lot and you need a tire that stays grippy  in the wet and cold.

I've taught HPDE, and the worst cars to drive in the wet have always been shod with semi worn Michelins.

The new Firestione Indy 500 ( Do not confuse with the older Wide Oval Indy 500 ) is getting rave reviews on Tire Rack. It's now rated #1 by customers in the Ultra High Performance class. Mind you, take that with a grain of salt as it's a fairly new tire and the data sample is fairly small. However, it's still getting lots of 5 star reviews. It's  a re-branded Bridgestone...which is good.  

• Like 1

Could I get away with using a taller sidewall? I found a good deal for a set of Federal SS-657 215/65R14 tires, and I have even more options with a 215/70R14. How tall can I go with a 215 tire before it starts rubbing?

Edited by 280z

That really depends on your car and your suspension set up.  I have had issues with rubbing using 205/60/15's.  But 205/55/15 seem to be okay. That was before I installed new springs and struts so now all of my knowledge is out the window. I raised the car about an inch so can I fit more tire now.. not sure.  Probably. But how much. Unfortunately no way to know as even the same size tire can have quite different widths and diameters. Some people say they have a 205, but it is as wide as a 215. Unfortunately, their is no standard as the tires differ so much in design.  This is where you really need a good relationship with a local tire shop which will allow you to try different sizes.

• Like 1