IGNORED

What's Your Multimeter?

TomoHawk

I've been reading about the usefulness of a multimeter in improving the working of your engine, and I even considered buying one:

SainSmart DMT100B 3(5/6) Multimeter Bluetooth Android Datalogger   but I thought I'd ask what others use.

The devices I read about include functions like frequency, duty-cycle, temperature (thermocouple), peak-hold, data-logging, graphing/bargraph, transistor/diode tester, etc.  Some specialized ones for automotive use has RPM, dwell, etc.  The one that interested me had a Bluetooth capability to interface with an Android application as a remote-control.

So as the title suggests, please share what you use as a multimeter. if you have one, and tell us why you chose or use it. 

My garage meter is  a simple digital meter from RadioShack and has volts, ohms, continuity beeper.

Edited by TomoHawk

I have an older fancy Fluke and a couple simple Craftsman meters. I also have an older Craftsman meter device to check RPM, dwell, etc. I usually use the simple Craftsman. Sometimes to check voltage I use one of those light bulbs built into a pointy screwdriver things. My gf has an old SImpson analog meter like my dad used to use at work.

Chuck

• Like 1

I think they omit a continuity function to simplify the  design of the meter.  For most of us, a continuity tester would be a "no-brainer."  I made  my own custom PCB for a continuity  tester with a selectible  beeper or LED. and probes to test glass fuses. (You do weird things when you get stuck indoors in the winter  :)

BTW-  I still have old RadioShack Micronta 50K ohm analog meter, but it stays in the house.  It's the second I bought of that;  the first accidentally blew-up when I was checking 110V and forgot to set the switch.  I gave the switch a twist to ACV, and the whole thing was in smoke (when I got to the Ohms range.)  :o  It's a good tool to teach the kiddies about volts, ohms, etc.

Always set the function switch before you grab the probes...

Micronta VOM 22-204.JPG

Edited by TomoHawk

BTW-

I was unable to locate the user manual for the multimeter  I referenced in the OP, so I looked at the manufacturer's website, and the darned thing doesn't measure resistance!  Even with all the other stuff, like bluetooth remote control, data logging, temperature, etc.  it wouldn't be of much use to me.   An eBay $2 digital thermometer or cheap meter will suffice for temperature and the rest, and I think there's an analog engine tester (RPM dwell, points, etc.)  in my dad's toolbox.  I even have a cute volt tester made from LEDs and diodes somewhere- it tells you if the voltage is <6volts, over 8, or over 12v.

ALSO-

Don't bother with the cheap ($3) digital multimeters available at Harbor Freight Tools.  They are made withe a cheap Chinese meter chip, and the design is so bad, it tells you your 9V battery has 3487 Ohms!  Every other function I tried was wrong as well.  It was free at a car show (some unhappy person tossed it in my car for the same reason?)   I kept it for a week, thinking a new battery would fit it, but it didn't, so I removed the probes and recycled the rest.

Edited by TomoHawk

There are only a few things to measure on a Z so a cheap multimeter with resistance, continuity beep, and DC voltage will do most tasks.  The problem is that the cheap mm's are usually junk.

I would recommend getting a basic Fluke MM. It will be a good investment.

I currently have 3 cheapies and a crazy-big Fluke 289 logger that eats batteries.  The Fluke also has to "boot" which is no fun to wait for. I will get around to selling it and getting a basic Fluke.

My old Innova "car multimeter" died.  It's only useful feature was measuring rpms; apart from that it was just a regular multimeter. You may be able to use the frequency feature on some multimeters to measure rpm.

For Rpm's I now use a digital timing gun with adjustable advance. Works great.

240260280-

I was just thinking the same thing:  what do you really need in a DMM?  That should've the first thing to say in this topic.

I think the only fancy thing that's useful on a DMM is a backlight for the LCD display.  My barn is dark, unless you have the garage doors open, so the LCD is hard to see, and I usually have a worklight in the car whenever I get in.  I think I'll even get a rechargeable LED worklight, so I don't have to drag the damned cord around with me always.

Edited by TomoHawk