IGNORED

240Z/260Z/280Z as a Daily Driver?

Daniel Jestes

Hey everyone, I am a new member to the Classic Z Car forum but I've been here reading for a while(:  I have a question that I know has been discussed and I have read the threads but wanted to start my own in search of advice.  I have nobody to ask these questions so I have come here for answers!

I currently DD a 1995 Mazda Miata that is largely stock with 62,000 miles on it.  I drive it to work and school (almost finished), I also race it about once a month sometimes more at AutoX or a track. I also do the drive from Houston to Austin (~300 miles-ish) about once a month (road trip anyone?).  The car is great and I love it but for a list of reasons I am considering selling it after I get a place of my own.  The car is incredibly small (I am 6'1) and my family has concern for other drivers here in Houston crashing into me etc.  I do know about accident preventiveness and safety of the car I have done extensive research but the main danger to my car (with stock seats) is my head makes contact with the roll bar if I lean back slightly.  Yikes!  If I get rear ended etc my skull smashes against that!  Obviously the logical fix is to put seats in that are lower or foam-ectemy, but that would mean I have to cut the floor pan and direct bolt a seat down (I've looked into it already).  But the problem with this is that the car is very clean and many people urge me not to "ruin" it.  It seems the car is more valuable to other people stock than it is to me modified or stock.  I've been getting offers close to $7,000 and I only paid $5600 for it (profit right?).  Also the car is small and I have a large dog (greyhound) that doesn't fit, we've tried haha.  I also dislike the stereotypes (I know it shouldn't bother me but it does).  There are a couple more reasons but I will spare you all.  In the end, everyone in my family is thinking either the Miata needs to go bye bye, or I need another car (I am not opposed to either option).

Now on to the Z cars!  The reason for my post!  I have been looking at modern cars but honestly, newer cars scare me with all their electronics and sensors etc.  I have been looking at more modern vehicles but cannot justify spending a suitable amount of money on a new car when I can spend the same on one of my dream cars, the Datsun 240Z.  Or a 260Z, or a 280Z for that matter.  I prefer the body lines of the 240Z but would likely buy one with an L28, or swap it myself (done this in other cars before).  Anyways, I prefer fixing things with a screwdriver not a computer...  I've had a 2007 VW Passat 2.0T and that thing was an electrical nightmare.  So I got the Miata because it is so simple and I do all the work myself.  I just took half the engine apart and replaced the water pump, timing belt, tensioners, the works, by myself.  Now I consider myself rather knowledgable when it comes to fixing cars I've been doing it most of my life.  That being said I am only 19.  So although I have some experience, I know that I have much to learn.

Now my questions about this future hypothetical decision:

1) If I buy a partially or fully restored car will it make a reliable daily driver/track car?    I know a lot of people do this, cars are meant to be driven.  It is likely the car would be my only vehicle for a while a few months and I would buy some form of secondary transportation (possibly a cheap motorcycle).  But that would only be for days the Datsun won't go...  I live very close to school and work, each are about 3 miles away.  Obviously people daily drove carbureted cars back in the days when they first came out and they must've been fine to DD because people did it!  I know it is an old car so it will break.  I am already dealing with this in my Miata.  A blown hose here, a radiator cracks there.  Parts break, the car leaves me stranded occasionally, I fix it, life goes on.  I already drive around with a tool kit and extra fluids, spare parts, etc so it would not be new to me to do so.  I would also like to mention that I let my car warm up properly 99/100 times before driving and understand the process of doing so in an old car.  It is also highly common for me to have to fix something super quick before driving to class or work.  It is not the mileage on the car that is the problem (because the mileage is low) its the age!

2) How practical is it?    Anything is bigger than the Miata and I believe I have done a pretty good job of making mine practical (i.e. packing for road trips).  The S30 Zs have the hatch area so that is great.  This is also the time in my life I can have a 2 door coupe not a family-mobile (yet haha).  I go camping often with my girlfriend but it is just her and I.  So far we have always made do with packing in the Miata but it is likely I would figure out a roof rack system for a bike (for when the car breaks down right? Lol).

3) RUST!?    As mentioned above I live in Houston and will likely be living in Houston for a while.  The only issue here is RAIN.  I've read that some people go as far as to towel down their car after driving in the wet to prevent rust.  I am willing to do this, but is it necessary?  Also do a lot of cars leak from the weather seals in the rain?  I already deal with this in my Miata and it is definitely my least favorite but manageable.

4) Car accidents?    Getting insurance may be a bit troublesome, I would likely ask to be on my parents plan for that multi-car benefit and due to the fact getting my own would be difficult.  If they decline and I get on my own policy how bad would it be?  I realize that getting in a wreck probably isn't going to be great.  The car would likely be totaled by insurance but I don't believe in living in fear of what might happen so I would do it.  My Miata does not have airbags already so I have kinda embraced my own mortality already.  I have witnessed people die from accidents and have been first on scene to many.  The Datsun I would drive would likely have a cage to brace the firewall and cockpit area as well and have harnesses.  I understand the whole HANs device and not streeting harnesses thing, so I am still debating using harnesses exclusively on the street.  That is another discussion for another time...

5) Traffic and commuting?    I am no stranger to uncomfortable cars and honestly never use AC.  My car has a tendency to lose significant power with the AC on so I honestly never use it.  Road trips are stinky and taxing to the body in my Miata already and I can't hear anything like a radio.  Aka, I am no stranger to lack of luxuries but I am totally okay with that!  My girlfriend is as well plus she likes the romance of old cars and loves my passion for vehicles (<-she's a keeper right?).  I am not looking for luxuries in a car.  I know the whole argument that cars are a "transportation appliance" to many and it is just for "point A to B" but I say SCREW THAT.  It is for the experience you have in between point A and B.

6) Does it NEED a modern engine?    Obviously, fuel injection was designed for a reason.  And it seems that a lot of people engine swap their Datsun's and I likely will if I ever kill the engine already in it.  But for day to day usage (and the track occasionally) will the carbureted engine be fine aside from fixing/tuning it constantly?

7) How much do fixes cost?    I am not asking for financial advice, but how much does fixing these cars typically cost?  I know there is a leveling degree of a repair with broken parts but...  Obviously Miatas are VERY cheap so it's hard to beat that.  I already have an emergency fund set aside primarily for fixing my cars when they break.

8) Theft prevention?    I have heard that these cars get stolen rather often.  I am already cautious as I can be but should I install some sort of kill-switch to make it harder to take?

I understand driving old cars is a lifestyle sacrifice.  I know it can be inconveniencing, I am ok with that.  But what does everyone think?

I apologize for the long post I'd just like to prevent any sub-thread "oh yeah I forgot to mention..." from happening.  Hopefully I included everything I wanted to...  Thanks for reading my post and I hope to hear back from ya'll!

Edited by Daniel Jestes

I'm building a daily 240z with L28. Twin SUs can be pretty reliable. If you're looking for something faster than a Miata stock 240z probably won't do without a swap. But they are fun to drive and work on that's for sure. At least that's what I heard. I would suggest rewiring and rebuilding engine. Get a car with good body is the first goal. I'm a newbie but this is what I believe. IMG_0423.thumb.JPG.3ad7a0107b859fd22b63f

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 1

240 parts are getting scarce and expensive plus they are a harsher ride because they are lighter but I never drive my 280, love the 240s but I daily drive a camry. It's easily replaceable if I wreck it.  240s, not so easy and much more money.

If I had to pick a DD it would be a 280.  My opinion only.

And welcome to our club. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

240 parts are getting scarce and expensive plus they are a harsher ride because they are lighter but I never drive my 280, love the 240s but I daily drive a camry. It's easily replaceable if I wreck it.  240s, not so easy and much more money.

If I had to pick a DD it would be a 280.  My opinion only.

And welcome to our club. 

By 240 parts I assume you mean other than engine parts?  Also are they interchangeable with 260/280 "parts"?

It has more to do with your tolerance with dealing with issues as they arise. They will arise it's only a matter of time. 40 year old cars just have more issues to deal with. Factor in the declining quality of rebuilt parts, like hydraulics, electrics, etc. If you can never be late for work, or travel with partners who are not as enthusiastic as you are about the joy of an old car, then, well, you know the answer to your question. 

Just now, zKars said:

It has more to do with your tolerance with dealing with issues as they arise. They will arise it's only a matter of time. 40 year old cars just have more issues to deal with. Factor in the declining quality of rebuilt parts, like hydraulics, electrics, etc. If you can never be late for work, or travel with partners who are not as enthusiastic as you are about the joy of an old car, then, well, you know the answer to your question. 

That is true and I've considered that.  Which is why I would also find secondary transport after buying a Datsun.  I meant to ask, how is the aftermarket for replacement parts and upgradable parts or is it mostly custom fab work?  Obviously with a Miata the options are infinite.

I wouldn't. Just about any of the reasons you list above are good reasons not to: any newer car (even going back a ways) is going to be significantly safer, more comfortable and more reliable (if properly maintained). It's a fun toy, though.

Parts costs: some parts are cheap, some aren't. It mainly depends on whether Nissan or the aftermarket still makes the part or not. Last time I looked, a clutch was like $80. But if you need a lower thermostat housing (a part that was $20 until Nissan stopped making them a couple years ago), you'll need to find a used one and be prepared to fork over $100 for it.

• Like 1

No, no, it's the 240's body, interior and electronics that are so costly.  Engine parts are still available at reasonable prices if you're not picky about original parts.  I am still surprised at the available parts from Nissan dealerships. They used the L straight six from '70 through '84 Maximas.

Zkars makes a great point, 19 year old girls won't like smelling like an exhaust pipe. 

7 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

No, no, it's the 240's body, interior and electronics that are so costly.  Engine parts are still available at reasonable prices if you're not picky about original parts.  I am still surprised at the available parts from Nissan dealerships. They used the L straight six from '70 through '84 Maximas.

Zkars makes a great point, 19 year old girls won't like smelling like an exhaust pipe. 

Fortunately like I posted originally the girlfriend of 3 years really doesn't mind my stinky Miata already!  She says the gasoline is sweet smelling and gives it character haha, one might argue she just says that for my sake though.

Edited by Daniel Jestes

Z Cars were great in their day.. ZKars... mehhh. LOL   Thing is they are 40+ years old now, You are going to put so much time and effort and love into this car that it would be a shame if some Moron smashes into it. And it will take some time to get reliable. 

I would recommend getting a good used Japanese car. Something like a Honda or a Mazda 3. The Mazda 3 Hatch backs ( 5 Door )  are awesome vehicles. Reliable, roomy and inexpensive. Plus Mazda generally has higher interior quality than Toyota or Nissan. More in line with Accord level. All the modern safety equipment as well. If you want something higher class, Mazda 6's  are a bargain and can compete with much higher priced European cars for handling and Luxury.

Save the Z for weekends  when you want to go Autocrossing or go for a Cruise with your special gal.....  :D

• Like 1