IGNORED

Series-1 Hatch Vent Duct Clips & Restoration Info Needed

Hardway

MIND BLOWN!!!  Thank you Kats for adding the detail to the pictures.  The nut spring 08961-43210 looks like a fairly common piece.  In fact, I think I have some that came with a body hardware kit for something.  I will have to look tomorrow after work.

I should hopefully have the quote for the clips from the fab shop tomorrow.  I will keep everyone posted.

Edited by Hardway
  • Like 1

Okay, I got the quote back from the shop and the breakdown is below.  These are spring steel, not stainless steel.

Qty. 100 without plating (bare spring steel) $6.92/ea.  With clear zinc plating, $7.93/ea.

Qty. 200 without plating (bare spring steel) $5.97/ea.  With clear zinc plating, $6.47/ea.

As you can see, there is a price cut for going with 200.  I would have to of course pay for the full run upfront or once complete, I would need one clip from someone for them to prototype off of, and it would be a 5 week turn around once everything is signed.  Shipping would be $5/set to anywhere in the cont. US including the small padded envelope and I would add $5/set for my time.  Since each car needs 4 clips the math would work out to the following.

Plated: $41.72/set   Not Plated: $37.68/set  This is based on a qty. of 100 as I do not want to be sitting on a mass inventory of clips that may never sell.  I show this because I want to be 100% transparent and show everyone what it really costs to get this kind of work done.  So the question is, are the prices beyond what people would pay?  Would you prefer plated or bare steel?  Who would send me a clip to borrow?  I would give you a discount on a set of clips of which we can talk about.

Edited by Hardway

I will gladly provide the sample if it will be returned un-damaged.

You could have it in hand on Monday if this proceeds well.

I'm in for a set of cad plated.

If it is required for the "test fit", I could send the entire NOS ductwork assembly I have as the "mule" provided as above.

Thank you Zup.  I think they just need the clip to take exact measurements.  I would make sure you would get it back in original condition.  We can draw up an agreement around it if you like.  I will PM you all of my contact information.  I think I am going to do the run of 100 first with the clear zinc as the corrosion protection seems worth it, that would create 25 sets and I believe all of those would sell. 50 sets is a tough sell unless everyone believes the demand is there. 

Edited by Hardway

I had some time to dig around in the garage and found some spring nuts as Nissan calls them.  I believe this kind of hardware is very common, we just need to know the dimensions of the OEM pieces.  Once this is known, a suitable replacement can surely be located.  No need to have these fab'd up.  Below are some pictures of what I found in my stash.  I probably have more in other places but this should help.  US nickel for reference.

CaptureNuts01.jpg

CaptureNuts02.jpg

• Like 1

A big thank you to Zup for supplying the OEM clip and spring nut.  I have dropped it off and signed the paper work for production work.  Once they create 1 I will go inspect it to give the green light on moving forward with the other 99.  I am doing a run of 100, clear zinc plated, made of spring steel.  It will be 4-5 weeks until I see the first one to inspect.  I am hoping to make it to Fastenal and Grainger tomorrow or Friday to see if a spring nut is available that closely matches the OEM that Zup sent me.  Once the full run of clips are done I will post up all the details in the Garage Business forum.

• Like 1