IGNORED

Looking for a set of Sumitomo calipers MK63

JLPurcell

I updated my oddessey post a few hours ago with my plans. The car is, from new, not considered stock. It from when I purchased it new had Datsun Competition parts on it. Spook, mirrors, wheels. It was restored keeping those parts. Since realizing the the restored car cannot compete for a gold medallion I have decided to finish the period correct Datsun Competition theme. I have and plan to install a original Datsun Competition Racing Suspension kit and the FIA (MK63 calipers). I had a set of MK63 Calipers and mistakenly let them go with the 00029 car. I am also wrestling with having Dave Rebello build me a purist engine next winter. Then I plan to flog the car! 

I'm still looking for a set of these to reverse engineer and make in alloy. Here is a set of Porsche 914 calipers I did the same with.

They would be about 4# lighter per side and use larger fasteners to mitigate any flex from the lighter material. It might even be possible to add a spacer for vented rotors. 

IMG_0883.JPG

5 hours ago, JLPurcell said:

I will just have to buy rebuild kits on Yahoo Japan and try and find the MK63 elsewhere at this time. Thanks again. jlp

I run MK63-20S vented type calipers on all my cars. I have a spare NOS pair new in their boxes, but don't really want to sell. I might - however - be tempted by an interesting trade. Have you got anything that you think I'd be interested in...?

• Like 2

I don't know what you might be wanting or needing. I have as you have seen a early OHC 2400 valve cover, I have an early rare front core support seal that goes between the core support and hood to limit the air going above the radiator. I have a 4 core radiator ready to go. Original NOS set of inner scuff plates lots of yellow zinc plated parts etc....Hopefully we can make a deal I am on a mission. Thanks Jerry Purcell

6 hours ago, hr369 said:

You bid on this brand new set and it wouldn't let you?  If that's the case then i don't know why. There shouldn't be any residual brake fluid inside.  You can try buyee.  Maybe they will let you bid.

http://page17.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v487963738

Those are the recent repros. Not original Sumitomo.

Generally speaking, originals will have makers name 'SUMITOMO' cast into them. The repro guys are not allowed to incorporate the Sumitomo name on their version...

33 minutes ago, JLPurcell said:

I don't know what you might be wanting or needing. I have as you have seen a early OHC 2400 valve cover, I have an early rare front core support seal that goes between the core support and hood to limit the air going above the radiator. I have a 4 core radiator ready to go. Original NOS set of inner scuff plates lots of yellow zinc plated parts etc....Hopefully we can make a deal I am on a mission. Thanks Jerry Purcell

Thanks, but I'm OK for all that stuff. I'm more interested in original Nissan 'Sports Option', Datsun Competition and genuine Works parts...

5 hours ago, conedodger said:

I'm still looking for a set of these to reverse engineer and make in alloy. Here is a set of Porsche 914 calipers I did the same with.

They would be about 4# lighter per side and use larger fasteners to mitigate any flex from the lighter material. It might even be possible to add a spacer for vented rotors. 

IMG_0883.JPG

Since MK63s have a reputation for flexing at extreme pressures, I can't imagine how you could engineer accurate lookalikes in alloy without changing the design enough to make them not look MK63s any more...

You might as well buy the ENDLESS S4 MK63-replacements and paint them green, or just go AP and done with it.

ZCCA has two classes for their "Gold" awards, stock and everything else, with stock being the hardest to achieve since not only does your Z have to be pristine in appearance, it also has to be completely stock or you lose points.

Cleanliness is next to winning in all the other classes (street mod, Nissan mod, ultra mod and daily driver). Doesn't make a difference if you have a purple painted engine block with yellow stripes, if it's clean and undamaged judges can't deduct points. Now paint drips, orange peel, missed spots, those can cost you points. You might want to reconsider or maybe just go out and flog the thing....

I show  my parts just for your reference, 

Nissan released solid MK63 first , ventilated later (I think factory racers already used well before listing in this catalog, sports option parts Dec 1973) 

Funny thing is , race and rally manual issued Feb 1970 described only brake pads for "brake section" , it did not mention about MK63. Very first cars were racing with stock caliper , stock caliper is not so bad !

Kats

IMG_8028.JPG

IMG_8029.JPG

IMG_8032.JPG

IMG_8033.JPG

IMG_8034.JPG

IMG_8035.JPG

IMG_8040.JPG

IMG_8041.JPG