IGNORED

Exhaust Tip Length

Hardway

My '71 240 has a replacement stock style muffler with an exhaust tip that ends below the bumper.  I would like to add a longer exhaust tip to make the exhaust exit further away from the car without looking ridiculous.  How far beyond the bumper does your exhaust tip exit?  Pictures are welcome!  This all part of an effort to reduce the exhaust fumes come in my car.  I already have new tail light seals and the Kia hatch seal installed and will be working on sealing up my hatch trim panel.  Being a series-1 car I am unsure how much difference it will make due to the flaps that in it so thinking beyond sealing and looking at the root of the problem.

There is a drain hose for the antenna that goes through the body below the antenna. Usually the hose is long gone and it leaves a hole.  You may want to look there.

Also the rubber flaps that seal the rear hatch vents often curl up and prevent sealing.

Lots of early Z exhaust pictures here:

18 hours ago, 240260280 said:

Also the rubber flaps that seal the rear hatch vents often curl up and prevent sealing.

Take the rubber flaps off and flip them over so that the curl now works in your favour.  Alternatively, find some flat rubber or vinyl sheet stock of about the right thickness and cut new flaps.

My panel is made of plastic as it is a series-1 and has the flaps.  I plan on resealing it and inspecting the flaps and possibly just seal everything up.  I never thought about the hatch latch but that makes sense.  Looks like this will be a bigger job than expected.  Back to my original question, what about the exhaust tip length?

Don't forget direction.  I have one that curves slightly downward.  It blows the dust off the road when I hit the gas.  And think about bumper style, if you have one.  I don't think that just length is going to be the full solution.  (This post has some unintentional double entendres, I know...).

Wait.  My other answer was not "literal".  The answer, where the tip ends, is 3/4".  But wait...a re-read has me thinking that I can't give an answer.  The "tip" by definition does not "exit".  It's just the tip.  

I think the question assumes a round, square-cut end.  So mine doesn't fit the question.  Good luck!

Hi, Having read the responses/suggestions as submitted to date, Please don't overlook the possibility that the carbs are not set correctly. As the owner of a Series one, I experienced your frustration and made ALL of the alterations already suggested. There's no question that they were of value but the situation was totally eliminated when our member,'240260280' (entry above), set up my Z's triples air/fuel optimally.

16 hours ago, Hardway said:

My panel is made of plastic as it is a series-1 and has the flaps.  I plan on resealing it and inspecting the flaps and possibly just seal everything up.  I never thought about the hatch latch but that makes sense.  Looks like this will be a bigger job than expected.  Back to my original question, what about the exhaust tip length?

Mr. 240260280 also did a complete article several years ago on refurbishing the Series 1 vent flaps.  If you haven't seen that, do a search and take a look.  It may give you some additional ideas.