IGNORED

brakes and steering

Dave WM

Not sure which this belongs to. I seem to have an intermittent problem. Out yesterday I noticed for the 1st time  a pronounced pull to the right when when braking moderate to hard. was on some dirt roads and it was even worse, hands off the steering wheel would very quickly turn right with even light braking. later on in the day it seemed to stop (not on dirt road did not get to try that again).

tire pressure even. Jacked up the front and had helper apply brakes. could not determine any noticeable difference when trying to turn wheels against braking force. Granted this would be only a test of the lightest braking loads, but mainly I just waned to make sure the left was working at all.

The intermittent issue is going to be hard since the above test was when they seemed to be working again. The only thing I can think of is a hung up caliper on the left, if that is possible.

I suppose it would be a good idea to rebuild the calipers anyway since I have not service history on the vehicle.

Was it raining? A sticking caliper ( either from pistons or sliding surfaces ) will really show itself when the rotors get wet. Brake pads normally lightly brush the rotor surface, and will wipe away any surface water. If you have a sticking caliper, that rotor will remain wet and there will be a pull to the good side for a second. Once the water wipes off it's usually fine. We get used to this type of thing in the PNW.

BTW, if you are not running the rotor splash plates, the problem can get really bad when it rains.

Taking my Audi in for a Brake service for this exact same problem. Have a bit of a pull to the right in rain. Pads are sticking a bit in the caliper, likely because of salt and dirt buildup. Normal winter maintenance type thing.

Speaking of dirt. If it wasn't raining, you may have got some dust and dirt dirt in between the pads and where they locate in the calipers. That has to be nice and free and all moving surfaces between pad and caliper should have a light coating of Copper-Coat or Never-Seize. Sounds like it's time for a good servicing, including a caliper rebuild. If re-using the old pads, give them a light sanding on some 80 grit sandpaper. Just enough to cut any glaze.