IGNORED

Hidden kill switches for S30 models

Bill Hickman

I am thinking of having a kill switch installed in my 240Z and wanting some advice as to the best route to take.

It sounds like an ignition/ starter type might be better than a fuel pump cut off switch but I am asking for opinions and info. On the pros and cons associated with both methods. Are there electrical problems related to the ignition cut off switch? Any insight or personal experiences are very much welcome. Thanks. Bill

Are you wanting a daily type for theft prevention? Or for fire prevention in case of racing crash? My 240 has a OE mechanical fuel pump so it's not possible with that. When I leave mine overnight somewhere unfamiliar I pull the coil wire off or the small wire on the starter. I'm sure there's more ways someone could recommend. Good luck with your project and will be reading the replies. I'd like something that could be activated from the cabin.

• Like 1

This topic came up here a few years ago.  At the time, CZCC member, 'Fastwoman' offered what I thought was a really interesting solution...

" I think a great way to create a defeat mechanism would be to wire a number of critical circuits (e.g. starter wire, fuel pump, ignition, EFI if you have it) via black wires (so there are no useful color codes) to a molex connector under the dash or perhaps in the ashtray compartment.  You would then have a mating connector you would plug in to correctly connect those various critical wires.  Carry it with you when you leave the car.  You could also add a couple of ground wires in the car's connector -- and perhaps the horn wire for grins, so any attempt to hot-wire the connector would likely result in blown fuses. "

I sort of like the idea of a blinking warning light (or beeper?) wired across the pump switch to remind me to turn the pump back on.  Once I forgot to turn the pump on when I got back in the car and for a few seconds had no gas in traffic until I could flip the pump switch back on.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/29/2017 at 10:27 AM, Namerow said:

Fastwoman offered what I thought was a really interesting solution...

a molex connector under the dash or perhaps in the ashtray compartment.  You would then have a mating connector you would plug in to correctly connect those various critical wires.  Carry it with you when you leave the car. 

That's fine, as long as you don't  lose your matching Molex 'Key'

Edited by TomoHawk

On 1/29/2017 at 11:39 AM, madkaw said:

splice a toggle on one side of the circuit and hide it somewhere underneath where you can reach it.

The problem with that is, any place where you can easily reach (find) a toggle switch is a place where a thief can also find it.  You ought to put it in a more difficult place to find, and, if someone is watching, you may have to wait for him to leave to start the car.

Edited by TomoHawk

You could probably rig up a bluetooth controlled relay actuated by one of the new thumbprint controlled phones.  Dedicate a phone to the car, with its own USB charging cable and permanent mount, and you've got thumbprint security.