IGNORED

240Z upper fender bolts

JLPurcell

1 hour ago, JLPurcell said:

From what I have been told the upper front fender bolts (next to hood) are special 6X10mm in that they have a thinner head than standard. Is this true. If so, source?

Jerry,

I am digging for my source information, but here is my understanding of thinner-headed fender bolts.

Early cars that had the FRP (fiber reinforced plastic), or fiberglass, headlight housings used, at the 

discretion of the assembly worker, thinner headed bolts, along with lock and flat washers to secure

these housings to the inner fender.  The reasoning for using these was because the FRP housings

had a thicker profile than stamped metal housings which could reduce the hood clearance to the

FRP headlight housing bolts and possibly damage the hood.  Two bolts on each headlight housing

would be required.  

The other six, three per fender, fender bolts had standard size heads.  Some of the flat washers for 

these six bolts also could have used flat washers with one side trimmed flat. This was to avoid damage

to the flared contour of the fender inner lip.

Hope this helps.

Dan

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AZ-240z said:

Jerry,

I am digging for my source information, but here is my understanding of thinner-headed fender bolts.

Early cars that had the FRP (fiber reinforced plastic), or fiberglass, headlight housings used, at the 

discretion of the assembly worker, thinner headed bolts, along with lock and flat washers to secure

these housings to the inner fender.  The reasoning for using these was because the FRP housings

had a thicker profile than stamped metal housings which could reduce the hood clearance to the

FRP headlight housing bolts and possibly damage the hood.  Two bolts on each headlight housing

would be required.  

The other six, three per fender, fender bolts had standard size heads.  Some of the flat washers for 

these six bolts also could have used flat washers with one side trimmed flat. This was to avoid damage

to the flared contour of the fender inner lip.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Dan, thanks that makes some since to me. Do you know if they were painted or not from the factory? Thanks JLP 

1 hour ago, JLPurcell said:

Dan, thanks that makes some since to me. Do you know if they were painted or not from the factory? Thanks JLP 

All of the fender bolts were painted body color from the factory.  They were hex head indented bolts with a "4" (torque value) cast onto the head.  There were only a very few fasteners un-painted, such as the 4 round counter sunk Philip flat head screws that fastened the rear hatch to its hinges, and the door window frame fasteners, 5 per door, located in the door jambs that I can think of right now.

Dan

Edited by AZ-240z
  • Like 1