IGNORED

Sat for 10+ yrs

Ato280z

I'm new to 280z and fuel injection. My z is a 1978. My car sat for 10 yrs when I bought it. It cranks over with a new battery but won't start. I'm having the tank cleaned because it sat with about 8gallons of fuel. I'm replacing the pump but there's a couple items I'm hoping someone can identify for me. The second photo is where the pump attaches, what's that canister? Is the first photo some in line filter?

also where is the fuel pump relay or relays?

where can I get a color wiring diagram?

and is there a factory assembly manual or chassis manual?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The second photo is the fuel pump damper, the pump relays are in 2 locations.  One is above the ECU (driver side kick panel) the other place is in the engine bay, passenger side, behind the cover where the fusible links are.

Look at one of SteveJ's posts, in his signature is a link for the shop manual and other important info.

Best of luck & welcome.

Edited by S30Driver
additional info

Welcome!  Siteunseen's link to atlantic z is worth a Z's weight in gold.  Be sure to get the EFI bible while you are there.  It also has many more aspects covered as well.  Thanks again Blue!

Just seeing those disconnects looks like you're in for some work.  Good Luck and keep us posted.

Thanks a lot guys. I have spent the last several days reading the Atlantic z website. I'm new to efi and that website is the best at explaining everything about the z.

im working on cleaning the tank and replacing the fuel pump. Trying to get a clean path of fuel to the injectors, which may have to be pulled to clean. The tank was full of sludge/black tar.

• 3 months later...

You definitely need to get the tank "boiled", and the screen cut out (if equipped).  That was causing my car to die after a few minutes.  Also, clean ALL of the electrical connections/pigtails. If they are green, they should be cleaned.  You may also want to verify that each injector is working.  Use the screwdriver test: put a screwdriver on the injctor, put your ear to the end of the screwdriver.  You should hear a constant clicking sound.  I had one injector that was not firing.  You can search, and use a 9 volt battery to clear the injector. 

Also, by looking at the spark plugs, you can see if one cylinder is not firing or has a problem.  HTH