IGNORED

Somethings wrong...

Redwing

Just now, Zed Head said:

It's under the plastic kick panel.  The screws are hard to get to.  The pedal in this picture is the clutch pedal.  I circled the connector.

ECU.PNG

Thank you for making that clear, and the photos too.  I'll  have to figure something, I have a hard time bending into that position.  As of right now tho, it is impossible.  The tow driver got her into the carport leaving only enough room to slide in the door sideways.  That will keep me out for sure.

Jai 

Does your 76 ignition system still use the stock ignition box or did you upgrade to the newer 280zx "matchbox" one?

If you drive it again and it dies, quickly note the tach and see if it drops to 0 instantly. Also coast along with the gears engaged to see if the tach shows the engine rpm. If it stays at 0 it means no spark.

I believe her car has the original TIU.

Sorry to read of your problems with your beloved car Jai.   Did you keep the original ECU,  that might eventually come in handy to troubleshoot the problem.

Chickenman  is right, at least the problem should be much easier to diagnose & correct now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 240260280 said:

Does your 76woutignition system still use the stock ignition box or did you upgrade to the newer 280zx "matchbox" one?

If you drive it again and it dies, quickly note the tach and see if it drops to 0 instantly. Also coast along with the gears engaged to see if the tach shows the engine rpm. If it stays at 0 it means no spark.

To my knowledge the Ignition system Is stock.  My tach does not work.  I know It would be a big help.    :cry:

Thank you

54 minutes ago, S30Driver said:

I b slieve her car has the original TIU.

Sorry to read of your problems with your beloved car Jai.   Did you keep the original ECU,  that might eventually come in handy to troubleshoot the problem.

Chickenman  is right, at least the problem should be much easier to diagnose & correct now.

Yes I do have the origional ECU.  Yep I have high hopes that this Is just a temporary setback.  I so much have enjoyed driving symptom free.  

Datsun Z's rule!   :beer:

Thank you...

13 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Should she unhook the battery as  Dwell as OFF position?  I've read that before but have know idea.

:)

Not to worry...  I keep key In my pocket when engine work Is being  done!

Edited by Redwing

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I was talking with a mechanic that has helped me fix my truck in the past.  Dean said that RB's symptoms are  just like a car he had in the past.  Saying that the EGR valve got clogged and the catalytic converter got clogged too.  His suggestion was to loosen up the converter at the front edge, and try to start her then.  

I mentioned oil loss with no apparent way, save the tailpipe is greasy.  Yes he said that too.  Stalling, stopping, chugging, fouled plugs, agh, cannot remember all we talked about that would be caused by a clogged converter.  He said, the combustion has no where to go except building up pressure in the engine, causing many many problems. That all sounds probable to me, but I'm not a mechanic.     

So I am the messenger, relaying this to you, and asking for your take on it.  And I'm asking for any who have had this happen, please tell just what did you do to get your car running good again?  Please share with me your efforts and results.

Thanks  bunches,

Jay      

BTW  Deanna watchers, she had a seizure or stroke last night.  Still out of it and walking is Very hard, almost can't without help.  :(

There's a sticker on the driver's side door jamb that will tell if you have a converter.  It was California only in 1976 so you might not have one.  I think Nissan called it a Catalyst back then.  Mine says NON-CATALYST.

Are you saying that engine won't even start now?

Just now, Zed Head said:

There's a sticker on the driver's side door jamb that will tell if you have a converter.  It was California only in 1976 so you might not have one.  I think Nissan called it a Catalyst back then.  Mine says NON-CATALYST.

Are you saying that engine won't even start now?

Zed Head,

Thank you for your quick answer.  There is no sticker in the door jamb, but I have been under her while on a lift, and saw it.

Correct, she will not start now.  Never did after I had her towed home.  

Jai