IGNORED

Somethings wrong...

Redwing

Could be you just need a tuneup.  I've personally wasted a lot of time, and have seen others do the same, looking for solutions to a problem that was solved by new spark plugs.  Your list says that the plugs were already dirty when you put RCB's ECU in.  

The ignition module is weaker than later models but still, it's as good as points.  A tuneup, with new plugs, should get you back to baseline.  An improved ignition system will get you more time between tuneups.

Get back to baseline before swapping the big money stuff.  Seriously, I really have spent a lot of time on a problem, then put new plugs in and it went away. (I felt like an idiot.  No offense).

• Like 1

A good tune-up, as mentioned above, is a good start. I do a tune-up on my 77 twice a year. Over kill? Maybe, maybe not. It doesn't give me any trouble. Sometimes I think it's due to boredom. I adjust my valves twice a year and probably only put about 5,000 miles at the most.

Lets see a pic of the plugs also if you can. Are they all the same, sooty?

4 hours ago, rcb280z said:

A good tune-up, as mentioned above, is a good start. I do a tune-up on my 77 twice a year. Over kill? Maybe, maybe not. It doesn't give me any trouble. Sometimes I think it's due to boredom. I adjust my valves twice a year and probably only put about 5,000 miles at the most.

Lets see a pic of the plugs also if you can. Are they all the same, sooty?

I thank everyone for their good suggestions.    I'm planning to check out the simplest and least expensive offers first.  Alas, everything will have to wait until  2/3  when my social security arrives.  I will get the spark plugs first and check what improvement is shown then.  For sure I will share that information.  

To photo the current plugs, that will have to wait until Sunday or Monday when my son gets back in town.  We share a spark plug size tool.  

Thanks again to all, I knew I could count on your help with this.  You have never let me down!    

Jan     :love:

• Like 1

Well my friends...

We made it home safely.  Managed to not be struck by a idiot on the phone while driving.

Now this really opens up a mess for me.  RB is now driving exactly like before the old/new to her, ECU.  Going to store after Dr in Dalton, she refused to stay running.  The last half mile she was coasting, with me restarting her about every 3 seconds, to keep forward motion.   I knew then she would not make it home.  When restarted, she would chug and carry on like she was not running on all cylinders.  Very rough.  I did not want to press her on, I was afraid she might harm something else.

Here is a photo of our journey home.

Jai

20170120_141544_1484942745985.jpg

Edited by Redwing