IGNORED

Deja Vu: 1971 Restoration

motorman7

On February 3, 2017 at 1:05 PM, motorman7 said:

Hi Zedyone,

The sides of the square channel seem to straighten out nicely as they are 'massaged' into shape, removing some of the 'kinks'.  The center part still needs to be cleaned up with the slide hammer as they are still dented inwards.  As you noted, it is covered from the inside and I do not want to put any holes in the floorboard, so I will use the slide hammer.   I did this on my '71 and it came out pretty well.  I know it seems odd cleaning up the underside of the Z, but when I look at any Z it is one of the first areas I check.  Clean frame rails are hard to find now-a-days.  

Rich

Just a thought - If it was my car - and the frame rails looked as good as they do in the pictures - I'd think seriously about putting a couple holes in the floorboards. Then spray them inside with POR-15... I'd rather have a couple extra rubber plugs in the floor boards than future rust coming though the frame rails.  Scroll down to page 22.. for example.   http://www.binks.com/Portals/0/Repository/EA52-100 Binks Spray Gun Extensions.pdf

FWIW,

Carl B.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Carl Beck said:

Just a thought - If it was my car - and the frame rails looked as good as they do in the pictures - I'd think seriously about putting a couple holes in the floorboards. Then spray them inside with POR-15... I'd rather have a couple extra rubber plugs in the floor boards than future rust coming though the frame rails.  Scroll down to page 22.. for example.   http://www.binks.com/Portals/0/Repository/EA52-100 Binks Spray Gun Extensions.pdf

FWIW,

Carl B.

Hi Carl,

Yes, I will  look in to that.  I was planning on doing the entire undercarriage with the POR-15 anyway, just as I did on the previous orange one.  It wouldn't be that hard to add this for the inside of the frame rails as well.  Thanks for the tip.

Rich

Nothing too exciting at this point.  Body work and sanding is the dull slow part.  Started on the engine bay  prep. Before pic is shown below.  Wiped down the engine bay with lacquer thinner to remove the oil residue.  I plugged 6 small holes and the 2 large holes that were previously used for the AC system.  We won't have the AC system installed so that makes things a bit easier.  Also fixed the little ding on the fender.  I noticed a little yellow paint as I sanded the fender.  I am guessing this fender was replaced at one point and the fender came from a yellow car?  I don't think that is primer or filler.  The battery area is in good condition with just some trace surface rust.  Here are some of the pics.

DSCF4382.JPG

DSCF4323.JPG

DSCF4385.JPG

DSCF4383.JPG

DSCF4384.JPG

DSCF4388.JPG

Things like this are always interesting to me.  A little more Z CSI.  The single panhead phillips screw (wrong type) and the two hex phillips screws(correct type) to support the windshield wiper pivot.  Makes me wonder why the wiper system was removed at some point.  Fortunately I have a whole box of the hex phillip screws with the yellow zinc coating. so no trouble finding the correct screw.

I cleaned up the panel area under the back hatch.  That had some significant rust as you can see in the pics.  I wire wheeled all of the rust off and put on rust inhibitor yesterday.  Used the filler today and sanded the area to form.  It still needs a bit of final shaping, but is close to what it needs to be.  Pics are below.  

DSCF4390.JPGDSCF4057.JPG

DSCF4058.JPG

DSCF4391.JPG

Edited by motorman7
  • Like 1