IGNORED

[2017] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

10 hours ago, Lumens said:

Received my Mikuni RamAir filters from the UK. With my old filters, I could not run the air horns with them.

I used those Ramair filters on my triples and they are excellent, they breath well and seem to catch a lot dust but when they get dirty and need cleaning is when the problems started for me. Ramair doesn't or at least didn't sell the static spray to re-charge the filters and when I asked them what I should use their reply was "just oil them" I did that and it changed the foams ability to allow air in, like I was driving with the choke on and resulted in a very rich condition. Hope you can find a better way to deal with it than me, just don't oil them.

Here is perhaps a better suggestion if you are running foam air filters - use a product made for oiling them, rather than motor oil. There is a company called Uni Filter that has oil (and cleaner) for this purpose. I used these filters on my dirt bike for years. Check out unifilter.com. The oil (and cleaner) is available at Amazon, Walmart etc. - or probably any motorcycle/ATV shop near you. I would really not run them dry. Hope this helps. :)

8 hours ago, Persimmon240 said:

Here is perhaps a better suggestion if you are running foam air filters - use a product made for oiling them, rather than motor oil. There is a company called Uni Filter that has oil (and cleaner) for this purpose. I used these filters on my dirt bike for years. Check out unifilter.com. The oil (and cleaner) is available at Amazon, Walmart etc. - or probably any motorcycle/ATV shop near you. I would really not run them dry. Hope this helps. :)

I used foam filter oil but the Ramair inside foam layer that is closest to the air horn is denser then the outer layer and becomes very restrictive when oiled. Maybe I just got a sales rep who did not know the right answer or maybe the company is only interested in selling filters.

Since I've been through a lot of oiling with the ITG air filter I use on my Z, I'll chime in.  

No Toil makes a great foam filter oil - you spray it on the dry (clean) filter generously, rub it into the foam carefully, then squeeze out the excess.  The foam will be very sticky, and can make a little bit of a mess on anything it touches while installing, but that stickiness is what catches the dust and keeps the inside of your engine clean.  The No Toil oil is nightmarishly difficult to wash off without a proper cleaner though, which they sell.  Interesting stuff that cleaner, it's a powder that has a lovely burning sensation when you use it to wash the oil off your hands after forgetting to wear gloves when oiling...  

ITG has actually recently switched from recommending No Toil and now recommends "Rock Oil Factory Eco Foam".  This oil is actually water soluble, meaning you can wash it using water and a touch of regular detergent.  No need for a fancy foam filter cleaner.  I'll be switching to it.  Coast Fabrication in California sells it, good people.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

I used foam filter oil but the Ramair inside foam layer that is closest to the air horn is denser then the outer layer and becomes very restrictive when oiled. Maybe I just got a sales rep who did not know the right answer or maybe the company is only interested in selling filters.

I am not planning to use any oil on these. They look to filter very well. I put very few miles on each year as I can only drive it in the Summer here.

Mostly just driven on weekends. Just plan to wash them when dirty. On some other cars I notice some run no filters and many run just the screens

over each air horn. I talk to them and they have no concerns at all. Maybe they have a lot of money. :)

Finally ready for the sawzaw! On side note the easiest way to remove the ZX back windows is to remove the two nuts holding them in and push with your feet. Slowly pulled away and came right out. 

IMG_0140.JPG

Edited by JSM

That reminds me of when I parted out my '98 Cobra a few years ago.  By the time I took the shell to the recycler it only weighed 800lbs.  I got more for the stock H-pipe with four cats ($96) than I did for the shell of the car ($80).  Fortunately I had a friend with a flatbed trailer who could help me deliver it whole, so I didn't have to cut it up.

I used a sawzall on my parts car.  It was oddly gratifying feeling standing on the roof while cutting away.  Unfortunately the current price paid for scrap is hardly worth it other than to get it out the way.  I got $40 for 1200 lbs. last summer.  Also, don't forget to take your title and or bill of sale with you to the scrap yard.  They're going to ask for it.

1 hour ago, gwri8 said:

I used a sawzall on my parts car.  It was oddly gratifying feeling standing on the roof while cutting away.  Unfortunately the current price paid for scrap is hardly worth it other than to get it out the way.  I got $40 for 1200 lbs. last summer.  Also, don't forget to take your title and or bill of sale with you to the scrap yard.  They're going to ask for it.

Yeah I wish I had a title. That's why I'm cutting it up. I've done this once before this way and didn't have a problem. 

The front is super light, the back I can't pick up.

The cutting up part is kind of fun I must admit. I don't think I'll do this again. This was the last one I did:

280zxt_Cut-1.jpg

Edited by JSM

• Mike pinned and locked this topic