IGNORED

240Z Fuel reservoir / vapour tank

Richard McDonel

Restoring 1971 (HLS30 28726).  I have the believed-to-be original plastic fuel reservoir / vapour tank.  It is however damaged, and I'm not comfortable with the idea of patching it. I also have the steel version that came off a later 1973.  It is sound, but will take some metal bending and / or cutting to install.  Does anyone know if original-dimension plastic units are available?  Or alternatively, does anyone have any experience making the newer steel tank fit the earlier car?  

Many thanks,

The vapour recovery tank never actually holds liquid gasoline or at least no more then a few drops that condensate, all you really want to do is keep the smell of gas out of the cab. You could give the whole tank a sealing coat of fiber glass.

I've never seen any reproduction plastic tanks and good original tanks go for silly money, the 73 metal tank can be made to fit but you'll need the plastic interior panel from a later year Z to fit over it. Many of those tanks have simply been deleted over the years, like this,

evap tank delete.jpg

10 hours ago, Richard McDonel said:

Dennis,

Thanks for writing.  

Yes it can, but I'm a bit uneasy about relying on a patch job on a plastic gasoline vessel.  Am I being overly cautious?

I see you are the original owner of the same year as mine.  Still running the original tank?

Yes, my original tank is still in place.  All the hoses have been replaced, however.  As Grannyknot mentioned, the tank holds vapor, not liquid, so fixing a crack will keep fuel fumes contained.  Fix it and forget about it for the next 30 or 40 years :)

Dennis

7 hours ago, Richard McDonel said:

I appreciate all this help folks.

Question for "Granny."  What is that small canister (?) towards the bottom centre of your sketch?

Cheers, and Happy New Year.

That is an electric fuel pump, the diagram is of a later car than yours. You'll notice the 5/16" fuel line at the top of the tank goes to a third fuel line that runs to the D/S of the engine bay, not sure if your /71 came with the vapour line set up, if it does then connect it up. If it doesn't then just seal up that line close to the top of the tank, your gas cap should be the vented version. If your cap isn't the vented version you can buy one from this young fella who lives just south of you,

If I'm wrong I apologize but doesn't the filler tube have an overflow hose that connects to the vapor tank?  I've overfilled mine a couple of times and the fumes were much stronger inside the cabin.  Wouldn't there be a small amount of liquid fuel in there until it evaporates?  I've learned to be more careful and not fill it until the gas pump shuts off.

Number 18 in this drawing.

Fuel-gastank_large.gif

• Like 1

Good question.  Let me add a couple questions to that.  Why would the filler neck need an overflow tube when the upper opening serves the purpose by spilling gas down the side of the car and onto the ground?  :)

Could #18 be a vapor recovery hose for the fumes in the filler neck?  So many hoses, so many questions to ponder as we head into the New Year.

Dennis

• Like 2

Siteunseen,

Thanks for bringing that up.  On my filler hose, the #18 line you refer to has been shut off by someone at some time.  The plastic fitting #14 appears to have been heated to the point of melting, then crimped shut. As between you and Dennis, this is becoming more interesting / confusing.  If the reservoir is meant to catch fill-up overflow via Line 18, then I should make very sure the tank is sound.  Or, if we ditch Line 18, as appears to have been done on my car, one would have to be very careful on refueling. 

Another thought with respect to the reservoir - if I patch-repair it as has been suggested, would the application of a fuel-tank slush compound (as I have already done on the fuel tank), ensure a good seal?  

And yes, I should track down the "young fella who lives just south" (about 1.5 hour drive).  This is my first 240Z project, and it sounds like he has vast experience.

This proving to be an interesting conversation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, psdenno said:

Good question.  Let me add a couple questions to that.  Why would the filler neck need an overflow tube when the upper opening serves the purpose by spilling gas down the side of the car and onto the ground?  :)

Could #18 be a vapor recovery hose for the fumes in the filler neck?  So many hoses, so many questions to ponder as we head into the New Year.

Dennis

Another good question.  I overfilled mine last Sunday, had the cruise on and got a phone call. :rolleyes:

Mine did not drain under the car, maybe I should look into that?  It ran right down the lower rear fender.  It was even with the gas cap and after driving for an hour or so I could still see it down the filler hole.  I wonder if they changed things up between our model years?

Can't wait for the new year's questions I have for you all to answer for me! :beer:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Richard McDonel said:

Another thought with respect to the reservoir - if I patch-repair it as has been suggested, would the application of a fuel-tank slush compound (as I have already done on the fuel tank), ensure a good seal?  

I think a tank liner type product on a plastic vapor tank would be a great idea.  I've used Red-Kote a few times lining tanks and it works wonderfully (so far :o).

• Like 1