IGNORED

Early 240Z "Series 1" Firewall/Carpet Snap style

Careless

Hello Z peep holes,

I am getting around to putting the interior together on one of them Z cars from Janyouharry of 1970, I was wondering what kind of carpet snaps the OE firewall insulator was equipped with. I have two styles that virtually fell off some of the pieces that I had here, and that @grannyknot supplied from his 1971??? orange car for the purpose of comparing and recreating of some fresh insulation.

The ones that came off @grannyknot's pieces look to be a kind of "pyramid" shape with a masonite board circle behind them, and a countersunk screw in the center that has a nut behind the masonite circle on the back. Looks to be an M6 countersunk philips screw. Probably 15mm in length. They seem to match the ones from #7214 that I have here, but haven't removed from there. That car is a '71.

The other ones I have that came off this car are some generic style ones that have 3 little tangs that fold over on the triangular back side and are staked into place. 

I put quite some effort into recreating the original firewall padding, so if I can use the correct carpet snaps, I'll go that route before gluing it to the firewall.

Edited by Careless

I'm not quite sure of the question, so this may not be of any help, but---

The male half of the snaps are attached to the firewall insulator in the manner you describe with the screw stud, nut and Masonite circle arrangement.

The female half attaches to the back of the carpet with the triangular tangs penetrating from the front of the carpet into the plate on the back side as you describe.

Attached are photos similar to the required hardware for the snap assemblies. You will need to cut out your own circles from 1/8" Masonite.

These are very close to those I retained for my 7/70 240z.

109-0941_IMG[1].jpg109-0942_IMG[1].jpg

Edited by Zup
grammer

Careless, I have done what you are now proposing to do to replicate the firewall insulators and correct carpet snap fasteners. 

The male snaps with the Masonite backer board attached to the firewall insulators, as seen in the attached images.

The first image shows the original and new insulator that I reproduced.

The triangular shaped fastener you describe is not generic, but actually is the female half of the fastener that attaches to

the backside of the carpet. 

Let me know if I can be of any further help. 

DanIMG_0066 - Copy (3).JPGIMG_0068 - Copy (3).JPGIMG_0071 - Copy (3).JPGcarlet fasteners 001.JPGcarlet fasteners 002.JPGcarlet fasteners 004.JPGcarpet fasteners 001.JPG

Thanks to everyone who posted.

AZ-240Z, that is the exact combo I was describing, both on the firewall insulator and on the carpeting.

Are any of these items available new? the ones here seem a little tarnished, though I am doing a plating run soon.

The carpets made by  C&H were really nice, but the snaps seem to be the ones you can get at any fabric store. just a circular thing like those seen on some denim jeans or nap-sacks.

Careless,

I included a picture of one of the male fasteners I have left over from my project.  Sounds like this is what you already have.

The Masonite is 1 5/8" in dia. and 3/16" thick, although it may have swollen over time with moisture exposure.

The Phillips screw is 3/4" long and size is undeterminable, due to rust.

Jim at C&H was very helpful to me in making my carpets.  Although I made my own patterns and cut all of my carpet pieces,

he was able to surge all of the carpet pieces on his equipment and they turned out great. 

I got all of my carpet, jute, and female snap fasteners at Newport Upholstery.  The male fasteners were retrieved from my

original footwell carpet pieces.

Newport, now, will only deal with the trade and not public, but Jim at C&H could possibly order directly from them, but that

would be up to Jim.  Here is Newports website address:

http://www.newportupholstery.com/auto_trade_suppl.htm

And here are some pictures of the original male snap fasteners that I used.

Dan

carpet fasteners 002.JPG

carpet fasteners 003.JPG

6 hours ago, AZ-240z said:

Careless,

I included a picture of one of the male fasteners I have left over from my project.  Sounds like this is what you already have.

The Masonite is 1 5/8" in dia. and 3/16" thick, although it may have swollen over time with moisture exposure.

The Phillips screw is 3/4" long and size is undeterminable, due to rust.

Jim at C&H was very helpful to me in making my carpets.  Although I made my own patterns and cut all of my carpet pieces,

he was able to surge all of the carpet pieces on his equipment and they turned out great. 

I got all of my carpet, jute, and female snap fasteners at Newport Upholstery.  The male fasteners were retrieved from my

original footwell carpet pieces.

Newport, now, will only deal with the trade and not public, but Jim at C&H could possibly order directly from them, but that

would be up to Jim.  Here is Newports website address:

http://www.newportupholstery.com/auto_trade_suppl.htm

And here are some pictures of the original male snap fasteners that I used.

Dan

Thems are the ones! I believe I did receive a sample of the Jute from Newport, and it was semi-synthetic and had some strands of bright fabric in it... or maybe they were the ones that never answered the phone. I called so many places and got so many samples- I can't even remember now. The masonite backers I removed also had a small rectangular piece of somewhat hard grey plastic under the nut as some sort of moisture barrier as well. I wish I took a photo at the time, damnit!

I'm going to double check the package of snaps Jim provided. It may have come with the triangular one shown there. Gonna message you now regarding some other stuff!

• 2 months later...

So I was just about ready to put the snaps back on the firewall insulator, and I noticed that the early firewall mat from the #1606 car had snaps that did not screw in. I still made the hole in the event that I use the bolt on snaps that I have, but it looks like #1606 utilized a snap that is just a common press-fit style shown here:

61OjbSMyJnL._SY355_.jpg

so tomorrow I am going to go to the art supply store to see if they have a set of snaps that I can use with a setting tool if I can mount it in a vice, because the hole-punch plier style ones will allow the material to be put into the jaw. providing I don't find anything that will work, i'll just use the bolt on style.

It's too cold in the unit right now to use contact cement. it's not setting up as well as I'd like, so i'll be able to snap them together but can't install them with glue until the weekend. No biggie! I'll just be polishing things up in the mean time!

• 5 years later...

Hi,  I am also looking for carpet snaps.  Has anyone found a source for the barbed ring and triangle female snap?  Looks like I can get them out of the UK but was hoping for something closer.

I am also looking for one, just one of the original male snaps….I can get the backing and bolts easily enough.  If anyone has one, please let me know.

Thanks

D022899E-FAA7-4BAD-BBE7-B7C802EDFD15.jpeg

I don't think I have any snaps left in my car, so I have to guess on what may be right. My friend, Google, suggested this: https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/universal-snap-kit-10-mm?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CjwKCAiAuOieBhAIEiwAgjCvcqgnHHx2mRIvEt3M11PWrGB50NWHk8f1cKk6x45KGXCgQc0t-gWLYRoC8ooQAvD_BwE

It's 10mm, so that sounds promising as a start for a car built in Japan.

If you want to just find something, search Amazon for screw snaps, and it gives you a bunch of different products.

• 4 months later...

I don't suppose anyone has 4 firewall carpet fasteners they are willing to part with? (can't hurt to ask!)

I'm trying to reproduce the look, at least, for now. The carpet side female snaps I found look very similar to what people have shown above. I got these from Honda 600 car parts (https://www.honda600store.com/Floor-MatCarpet-snap-set_p_5398.html)

For the firewall-side fastener, I'm using a washer, a slightly longer screw I got at my hardware store, a plastic spacer to center the washer better, and the snap kit below, which helpfully came with an ESD pad which acts as the masonite in this setup. I did not have any luck finding a conical washer (let alone conical snap). Hardware guy thought maybe I could manufacture a conical shape out of thin metal. I bought a little sheet for like $4, I may try that, but it wouldn't look the same due to the snaps available all having that shoulder. 

IMG_1320.jpeg

IMG_1312.jpeg

IMG_1319.jpeg

IMG_1317.jpeg

IMG_1318.jpeg

I couldn’t find any of the male snaps either so I made my own from bits and pieces from the Home Depot hardware drawers.  Took the 3 pieces shown and stacked them together then glued with epoxy.  I also cut out some wood backing washers like the originals.  Notice that Datsun put a small piece of tape held the nut onto the backing washer so it didn’t fall off during assembly.

C197466F-0842-4570-AC7D-DB3175590E48.jpeg

4972C042-249D-404A-9D03-D91CD07551F7.jpeg

03434EAE-FD46-48C7-BA14-1C2D66AD8695.jpeg

16F41088-4909-4B93-89AA-D4DEC87AB4F8.jpeg

• Like 1