IGNORED

Hitachi radio coil replacement

gotham22

Your wiring sounds correct on everything and no the cap on the volume is probably not the problem. Like I said, check the speaker balance. Yea i know that sound too simple but you can get really caught up in

thinking it's other things and not realize the most obvious. If that's not it then i would start looking at the amplifier circuit.

Can you draw a diagram of what pins you tested and what voltage they were?   How big of a variance was there compared to the schematic?

I can check your voltages against those in my radio if it's not too difficult to get at.

Can you draw a diagram of what pins you tested and what voltage they were?   How big of a variance was there compared to the schematic?

I can check your voltages against those in my radio if it's not too difficult to get at.

make sure you have all the screws installed and tight when testing, some are used for grounding thru heat sinks. IIRC there are two screws on the back, you have to have at least one in making firm contact with the case.

Edited by Dave WM

It looks like the screws were not full in and making contact with the case. When they are not making contact the audio amps (ha1339) are being overdriven with voltage. Once the do make contact all the pins on the chip return to their voltages as stated in the schematic. Looks like it is back in business!!! Changed a couple of diodes and the qc601 transistor as well.

On a personal note, thank you dave wm. I can't thank you enough for all of the responses and help you have given. You are what these forums are all about. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I had the same problem, but mine manifested as intermittent sound, twisting the case would activate the amp portion. That's when I realized the screws were not installed.

Glad that was of help to you. Those sure are fun to work on eh? Like a puzzle getting them apart and then the constant fear of popping some wire loose and not knowing where it went.

Fun is one word!  The good thing is I know a lot about radio repair now!  HA!  Broke many connections that I had to solder back and  I burnt a trace on the board which I needed to jump to fix.  Last issue I am tracking down is why I am only getting a signal on one speaker.  I tested the balance and I turned it both ways.  Only get one speaker outputting though.  I also made sure that the button with the "s" was set properly, think that switches between stereo and mono. I just got my hands on an oscilloscope to track the signal down.  

Once all that is figured out I am going back to the original project I wanted to do which was to add a switch to change power between the radio and aux input. Happy times are near!