IGNORED

Hitachi radio coil replacement

gotham22

To be perfectly honest I screwed up and killed a fully functional radio.  Now I am trying to troubleshoot it to get it working again and admittedly I am in over my head .  Been trying to teach myself some things and searching the web hoping I can find the problem.  When I was using the multi-meter last night it appeared that this component was not working properly.  I realize now it is.  Based on the schematic it looks like there is a coil before the fuse. I need to check that as I am not getting any voltage at the fuse. 

Is this the radio you messaged me about adding a din cable and this is a later 280z radio right?

Which radio are you working on?

I've rarely seen these copper coils by the fuse burn out. Do a continunity test on it to see if its bad.

IMG_3282.JPG

Edited by hr369

• 2 weeks later...

Happy new year!!!  Thanks all for the help.  to post an update. I am a total newbie and made a lot of mistakes but I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Here is how the mess happened,  I was trying to find the hot wire going into the radio because I wanted to add a switch so I could go between the radio and the aux.  Idiot that I am I didn't think and grounded the multi-meter to a painted surface. So it appeared no wire was hot, and then that's where it snowballed. I pulled the wires out of the plastic connector on the harness figuring I wasn't get a good connection for a reading. Before I did I marked them on a piece of paper. Now in hindsight marking top and bottom would have been useful and not using the letter b for blue and black would have been wise. Long story short whole radio opened up, resodering, breaking pieces and replacing them and finally figuring out the correct wire configuration.

Now The radio tunes on both fm and am. But....there is an issue. I can only hear the radio at a very low volume ( volume control turned almost to 0). As soon as I raise the volume I hear a clicking noise. Rasing the volume control doesn't make the audio louder either it just starts this clicking noise. 

I know this is vague so I am uploading two videos. One you can hear the clicking and the other you can hear the audio.

Does anyone know what I should do next?  I don't know what would cause this.

That cap you pulled off looks like the ones attached to the volume control. Perhaps you put that back on wrong.  Take a picture of the cap you pulled off and put back on. Maybe i can see if its

in the correct place.

Edited by hr369

If you are looking at the back of the radio at he 6 pins ( 3 on top and 3 on the bottom) power goes to the top right pin and ground goes to the bottom left. I reversed these and then couldnt understand why the radio wouldn't turn on. 

The cap cap I took out was on the power unit pcb. C007 on the schematic. 

Do you think  I have a bad cap connected to the volume pods?

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG