IGNORED

Panasport: Z light suitable for street?

DaveR

I apologize for making a specific thread for this, but as someone who is keen on the Pansport banana style wheel... and having a hard time finding a set new or used, i am hoping for some guidance. I would like keep the discussion to Panasports and not consider the clones/lookalikes for now, to properly  clear up my confusion.

I have contacted some vendors and distributors, and the feedback seems to be the model they are suggesting is the Z-light wheel.  This appears to be a newer  version of the classic style, and lighter.  Unfortunately, I have seen statements on some websites that state they are for racing only. I assume this is because it helps cover them from a damage standpoint from street driving, but it doesn't inspire confidence when I would be purchasing them for exclusively street use.

So the real question is, is the Z-light suitable for street use? and if not, are there any NEW Panasport models in that same style that are available for the Z's and suitable for street use?  

I would be looking for 15x7

I have a set of "FOR COMPETITION USE ONLY" and regular Panasports that I use on the race car. I'm sure that the race wheels can handle street use but they're clearly marked on the lip in big letters so I wouldn't use them on the street. But that's just me. If you can find a good set of 15x7 race wheels I'll trade you my 15x7 street wheels for them.

Chuck

15 hours ago, cbuczesk said:

I have a set of "FOR COMPETITION USE ONLY" and regular Panasports that I use on the race car. I'm sure that the race wheels can handle street use but they're clearly marked on the lip in big letters so I wouldn't use them on the street. But that's just me. If you can find a good set of 15x7 race wheels I'll trade you my 15x7 street wheels for them.

Chuck

To echo Chuck, the "racing" versions will have the above quote engraved into the outer face. They are likely not certified for curb-strikes and the like, in order to make them street legal. I'd find some road-legal wheels, they shouldn't be too difficult to source. Watch the forums and classifieds as they come up once in a while, 15" examples are usually fairly affordable.

That's kind of what I figured, but when reaching out to distributors they only seemed to have the "Z-Light" wheels.  Can someone definitively confirm that Z-Lights are racing only?  

And if that is the case, is there a model I could look into sourcing new from Panasport suppliers that is for street use, and if so what model?  I believe this is the FZ model, but again distributors don't seem to offer it any more. Maybe the FZ has been discontinued like the FS before it?

also, I appreciate the offer BGM, but really would want them silver/chrome and in 15". 

I did some searching and it looks like the new wheels aren't specifically for race use only. There's nothing on any of the wheels that I saw and nothing in the ads warning that they're for race use only. If it were me I'd buy a set for the street.

Chuck

I reached out to Panasport last night actually and will update with their response. I find it strange that their distributors I've spoken to seem to be a bit clueless about my questions/concerns, but this may be because I was reluctant to accept their recommendation of the Z-light being suitable for street. Hopefully Panasport confirms things, and I can go about shopping for prices.

In the interim, if anyone should happen to come across a 15" set and wants to point me in that direction, I would be grateful. I have a bit of time to let things unfold organically.

2 hours ago, FreshZ said:

what would make these wheels not suitable for street use? not strong enough to endure pot holes and bad roads ?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Classic Zcar Club mobile

My reason for asking was if the Z-lights are in fact, the racing wheels. I was and am still not 100% certain.

Beyond that, I am sure race wheels are super light and can't take general wear and tear that comes along with public roads.  I feel that maybe with racing wheels there is a bit of assumption that they could theoretically fail, which is the price you pay for a super light wheel that pushes for absolute minimum weight.

Panasport has a web site, see below. If you go there they show options for both the street and for race. In the race section they clear say those wheels are not for use on the street or highway. Am I missing the intent of the question? Are you having trouble finding a soiurce to purchase the Street Wheel?

http://www.panasport.com/racing.html

. racing16.gif