IGNORED

Just Another Damned Project Thread

conedodger

1 hour ago, Travel'n Man said:

Rebello Rocks! Sounds like a great project. What will you do for a cam, flywheel, clutch, and exhaust?

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Mitchell, Dave is picking the cam based on my choice to go with EFI. I'm not aware of what clutch he is putting on the engine or if it will even have one. My car has been "enthusiast" owned since new. It has just about every piece of candy they sold out of the Datsun Competition Catalog. Including, the headers. I welded in an O2 sensor bung to be used with the EFI and had them JetHot coated. I have a friend who builds 700hp drift cars that will be building a mandrel bent SS exhaust for me. Many of you Sacramento guys know him. Henry Chung. He's been working on this car since the '90's! The last exhaust Henry built for me was 2.5". I'm going to ask Rebello what I should build with Torque as the goal.

3 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Thanks!

After seeing the prices and rarities of the LD crank I'd be better off sending my 2.8 to LA. 

Boobs are cool. :D

Or, buy a crank from Rebello. Prices are online I think? You can even get the 3.0 liter stroker kit from him. That was my original intention, but I realized I had way more money than time at that point. I now have the time thing under control. I work for a week, then I'm off for a week. 

I believe Dave offset grinds the crank to his preferred rod/stroke ratio. When he does the offset if creates smaller journals and he utilizes Honda rods.

Your project sounds like mine. 75 intake . I just ordered my pump set up from Tank inc. it would simplify things for you if you can make it work on a z tank. No surge tank needed.

It's time to start the project thread to inform the world and conversely have the world inform me on the installation of my Rebello 3.0 liter stroker motor. I approached Dave a year ago about a year ago with a nebulous idea of what I wanted. I told him I want Torque and horsepower, but not at the expense of driveability. I want my wife, who already loves the way the car looks, to also be willing to get in and ride. Dave suggested his 3.0 liter stroker offering. I had an L28ET block to use, and the rods for that combination are L24. So Dave provided the rods and used my block and crank. But what head? I had two on hand. One, the turbo head from my block, would have resulted in two low of a CR. So that was put up for sale and sold in a few minutes. The other head, a B.C. Gerolomy modified E31 was chosen. This head has big valves, and porting and polishing from back in the day.. B. C. Gerolomy was the go-to guy for cylinder heads when Datsun was tearing up the tracks and the Z car was new. The CR for this head is in the 11:1 range. But this is "static" CR. The biggest problem static CR causes is the starter having to overcome the CR to get the engine turning and started. Some modification was necessary though. Because we are going to be fuel injecting this motor! 
The plan is to use a non-EGR L28 intake, which has been extrude honed and a TWM throttle body which I had on the shelf. Megasquirt will provide the brains and ill be using crank fired ignition and blocking off the distributor hole. Coil-on-plug using GM coils. 
Pill be picking up the motor within the week or two. Daves in California, I'm in Nevada so there has to be some coordination. The engine is done though. 
Here is the car this engine will power. The BRE Spook is the current configuration.

IMG_0322.JPG
IMG_0526.JPG
IMG_0527.JPG
IMG_0528.JPG

what size wheels are on the car in these pics

Sent from my LG-D850 using Classic Zcar Club mobile

7 hours ago, moelk said:

This will be interesting to follow, as all engine builds are.

Thanks for sharing.

Please put it on a respectable hub dyno when you are all done.

What fuel do you intend to use?

I actually own a dyno. It's good for tuning but not for peak HP and Torque numbers. It will measure up to 150 hp and similar Torque. It's great for lap-top tuning though. I own a smog shop in Sonoma California. This little video was taken just a moment ago from my security camera. Seems like the video upload didn't work, so here's a still. Sonoma Smog Center for you guys in the area.  Premium unleaded per Dave Rebello.

IMG_1080.PNG

Edited by conedodger
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, madkaw said:

I believe Dave offset grinds the crank to his preferred rod/stroke ratio. When he does the offset if creates smaller journals and he utilizes Honda rods.

Your project sounds like mine. 75 intake . I just ordered my pump set up from Tank inc. it would simplify things for you if you can make it work on a z tank. No surge tank needed.

I like the idea of a surge tank though. My best friend has a restoration shop and he does lots of fab work. I made him a construction paper model which he will translate into a surge tank with fuel cell like character.