IGNORED

Just Another Damned Project Thread

conedodger

It's time to start the project thread to inform the world and conversely have the world inform me on the installation of my Rebello 3.0 liter stroker motor. I approached Dave a year ago about a year ago with a nebulous idea of what I wanted. I told him I want Torque and horsepower, but not at the expense of driveability. I want my wife, who already loves the way the car looks, to also be willing to get in and ride. Dave suggested his 3.0 liter stroker offering. I had an L28ET block to use, and the rods for that combination are L24. So Dave provided the rods and used my block and crank. But what head? I had two on hand. One, the turbo head from my block, would have resulted in two low of a CR. So that was put up for sale and sold in a few minutes. The other head, a B.C. Gerolomy modified E31 was chosen. This head has big valves, and porting and polishing from back in the day.. B. C. Gerolomy was the go-to guy for cylinder heads when Datsun was tearing up the tracks and the Z car was new. The CR for this head is in the 11:1 range. But this is "static" CR. The biggest problem static CR causes is the starter having to overcome the CR to get the engine turning and started. Some modification was necessary though. Because we are going to be fuel injecting this motor! 

The plan is to use a non-EGR L28 intake, which has been extrude honed and a TWM throttle body which I had on the shelf. Megasquirt will provide the brains and ill be using crank fired ignition and blocking off the distributor hole. Coil-on-plug using GM coils. 

Pill be picking up the motor within the week or two. Daves in California, I'm in Nevada so there has to be some coordination. The engine is done though. 

Here is the car this engine will power. The BRE Spook is the current configuration.

IMG_0322.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

• Like 2

What kind of HP is it putting out?  I have been considering the same type of project.  I want to have a streetable car that performs really well on the track, but is durable.  I don't want a high-strung race motors that needs to be rebuilt every 2 years.

I would say you have a great start there.

Marty

Thanks.

I have gone wilder in the past. I've built Porsche motors with individual throttle body EFI. But ultimately, I went with a nearly stock '89 3.2 Carrera motor in my 914-6 GT. Having learned from my individual throttle body Porsche experience, I know, that EFI doesn't like wild vacuum fluctuations like you get when all of those throttles open at once. It works, even works better than the best adjusted carbs, but not as well as a modern EFI car. That is the target I'd like to get close to. This is why this car will use only one throttle body.

Ive been working out the fuel supply in my mind. It will employ both a high and low pressure fuel pump. The low pressure pump will push the fuel to a surge tank, where the high pressure pump will push the fuel to the injectors. A fuel pressure regulator just beyond the fuel rail will keep the fuel in the proper pressure. I will still be using my 240Z tank, but it will be reworked to have a 3/8 feed and return line. I'm designing two stainless steel lines to go through the tunnel with threaded ends so I can use aeroquip. What? I don't like leaks! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Marty Rogan said:

What kind of HP is it putting out?  I have been considering the same type of project.  I want to have a streetable car that performs really well on the track, but is durable.  I don't want a high-strung race motors that needs to be rebuilt every 2 years.

I would say you have a great start there.

Marty

Marty, 

Dave says easily 250 -300 but it's the Torque I'm wanting to see. 

I'm wanting something that pulls and is torquey too.  A 2.8 block, 2.4 rods and which crank? Do you use the 2.8 or the 2.4?  I have these parts and am ready to start a new project after doing the research.  This will be my first step/question to find out if I have the parts required.  Thank you for any help on this and another big ole thanks for the big ole boobies!  They make my day (and sometimes night). :shhhh:

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

I'm wanting something that pulls and is torquey too.  A 2.8 block, 2.4 rods and which crank? Do you use the 2.8 or the 2.4?  I have these parts and am ready to start a new project after doing the research.  This will be my first step/question to find out if I have the parts required.  Thank you for any help on this and another big ole thanks for the big ole boobies!  They make my day (and sometimes night). :shhhh:

One way to do the crank is the Maxima diesel crank. I don't think that is what Dave does though. I think he sends 2.8 cranks to a company in the LA area and they modify (stroke) the crank by changing its throws.  

Oh, and what can I say, I like boobs!