IGNORED

Nissan 2400 OHC value cover

7tooZ

1 hour ago, 7tooZ said:

Would it devalue it to polish it.

Fortunate that you have one 7tooZ---

If you are planning to sell--in my opinion---YES!

Leave the extreme act of "polishing" to the final owner, so it is his or her choice. These covers were not polished when new from the factory and to anyone doing a "correct" restoration of an early car the polished cover would be an "over restoration" that many, if not most, restorers would not deem acceptable.

I would have it glass bead blasted to a satin finish and oil it with Gibb's Brand Oil.

The oil will seal the finish so that it will not tarnish, water spot or stain from oils or fingerprints, etc.

It is a very good final finish as is, but if someone wishes to polish the cover in the future it will not present any problems.

Here is the 2400 cover on my 7/70 240Z restoration done using this method:

06-01-14 various photos 060.JPG

I used the same method on my daily driver 73 240z  restoration:

IMG_4107.JPG

And at 2 years use it looks pretty much the same, even after spraying a diluted mixture of Dawn detergent and water over the entire engine bay and hosing it off with a gentle shower from the garden hose.

I've done this several times and it hasn't changed the appearance of the finish.

IMG_4560.JPG

If you choose this method, apply the Gibbs Brand with a saturated cloth several times, allowing an hour or so each time before wiping off the excess. Allow it to dry for a day or so then repeat.

I might add that it is the same periodic application (once or twice a year) that will further enhance the sealing qualities of the oil finish.

While this might not be what you ultimately chose to do, I thought I would offer it as a way to restore and preserve your valuable and rare cover with a minimal amount of effort. It has worked well for me.

Jim D.

"Zup"

• Like 3

Hi Zup.  I am sending this email from England.   The petrol pump on your car looks exactly like the one on mine and after stripping it down I find that I need a new diaphram as the one on mine is perished.My pump is the "Ampco G22".  I would be grateful even for the slightest help you could give me.   Kind regards.TonyTomB

I'm chatting with the Gibbs dealer in Edmonton. No one in Calgary yet. His price is $21.50/can + shipping, or $15 a can if you buy 12. Once I get a shipping quote from him, I let you know if its worth me buying 12 and shipping them to you Canuckers a bit cheaper.

May be an issue with shipping aerosols that makes it a bit pricier.

9 hours ago, zKars said:

I'm chatting with the Gibbs dealer in Edmonton. No one in Calgary yet. His price is $21.50/can + shipping, or $15 a can if you buy 12. Once I get a shipping quote from him, I let you know if its worth me buying 12 and shipping them to you Canuckers a bit cheaper.

May be an issue with shipping aerosols that makes it a bit pricier.

You have one customer here:bunny: