IGNORED

Spinning My Wheels... (Yet Another Wheel Thread)

charliekwin

It's getting close to Christmas and I've been doing some wheel shopping, but can't seem to come to a decision.  So far I'm trying to decide between the following:

Rota RKR: I think I like the shape/style of this one best.  They're only available in 15x8, though, and I'm not sure that'll fit without rubbing.  I still have the slightly-tired stock motor, and probably will for a while, so 8" is a lot of wheel.  If the RKR were available in 15x7 or 16x7, it'd probably be a no-brainer pick.

rkr-1.jpgrkr-2.jpg

Rota RB: comes in 16x7, which is probably the best choice as far as fitment and tire availability is concerned.  (As far as looks, I've flip-flopped about 100 times on 15" vs 16"; I could go either way.)  The RB looks good straight on, but I'm not a big fan of the spoke profile.  I don't really like how it curves out from the hub and back into the rim.

rb-1.jpgrb-2.jpg

Other options: Konig Rewinds don't get me super excited (opposite problem from the RB -- the spokes are a little too straight and plain, though I like the shape of the 15x7 better than 16x7). The XXR 537 only comes 8" wide and the Enkei Compe has a fluted edge that I don't like.

Anyone want to nudge me in one direction or another? :)  Oh yeah, wheels will be going onto a 78 that's been lowered about 1.25".

I will nudge you in the direction of the RB's.  I run 16x7 RB's in the warm weather and have no issues on my 77, lowered same as you.  Tire selection is far better with the 16" size vs 15".    You can run 8" width on the rear but the front will be a problem with rubbing.

The RBR has the flatter spoke style that you like, but I think they only make them in 17" now.   Too big for these cars imo.

The Panasports are a great-looking wheel, but I just can't bring myself to pay for them.  I've been through the wheels and tires thread a number of times but didn't see the gallery, so I'll definitely check that out.  I didn't know about the VTO wheels, which also look like a good -- if slightly more expensive -- option.  The 16x7 RB is where I keep leaning (for now, at least): easier to come around on looks than on something that doesn't fit.

One other consideration is which brakes you are using?  If you are sticking with stock ones, it is no issue.  If you wanted to upgrade to the Toyota 4x4 brakes, the bowed out brakes would probably clear them.  I had them on my track car with 15x7 Rewinds and I had to grind off one of the ribs on the caliper to clear the wheel.

Marty

20 hours ago, moelk said:

I have the Toyota brakes and have no clearence problems at all with my rewinds.

If you have the calipers that use the stock rotor, that would be true.  If you want to run the vented rotors, you have to use the wide version of the caliper, which can give clearance problems, depending upon which wheel you use.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2016 at 4:59 PM, Marty Rogan said:

One other consideration is which brakes you are using?  If you are sticking with stock ones, it is no issue.  If you wanted to upgrade to the Toyota 4x4 brakes, the bowed out brakes would probably clear them.  I had them on my track car with 15x7 Rewinds and I had to grind off one of the ribs on the caliper to clear the wheel.

Marty

Was it a minor modification needed Marty?  How much did you need to remove from the caliper?  I'm going to do the vented setup this winter with 15x7 Rewinds.

Edited by Jeff G 78

Just now, Jeff G 78 said:

Was is a minor modification needed Marty?  I'm going to do the vented setup this winter with 15x7 Rewinds.

To do the vented rotors, you will need a spacer to make the calipers line up right.  The guy I bought mine from is no longer in business.  Not sure who sells them now, but I am sure someone must.

As I recall, the caliper has 2 or 3 ribs on the top of it.  I used a grinder to shave one of them off. It wasn't hard, just messy and stinky.

You will love it though.  It is definitely a worthwhile mod.

Marty