IGNORED

Am I missing a part? confused.. 79 280zx e-brake issue

ramrod05

What's going on guys. I've got a 1979 280zx N/A 2+0 and I don't have much experience when it comes to e-brakes and its components... I need to know if I'm missing a part where the red circle is on the picture. I have the cable itself but I have no clue what the part in the picture screws into.. I read the FSM and it shows that there's supposed to be an equalizer there but I just don't know if I'm overlooking something stupid. I just bought the car from a guy who took great car of her and he did say they took off the e-brake when they were replacing a half shaft...? Do you really need to remove that?....oh well. 

Screenshot_20161127-110218.png

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, it looks like he removed the linkage connection.  He likely removed it because the parking brake was not working or seized up.  While you are under the car, squirt some lubricant into the handle to make sure it's working.  You may want to see if you can pull on the cable to see if it works.  I'd remove the rear hub and also check to see if those are working.

By the way, head over to the Downloads area and pick up a copy of the 280zx factory service manual.  Check out the BR.PDF file, I found this:

Screenshot 2016-12-08 09.17.10.png

He said he took it off when they were doing some work on the brakes but they just never put it back on. I've got the fsm and I figure I'm missing the equalizer and then clevis pins for the cables to connect to the calipers. 

• Like 1

He said he took it off when they were doing some work on the brakes but they just never put it back on. I've got the fsm and I figure I'm missing the equalizer and then clevis pins for the cables to connect to the calipers. 

He didn't supply this part with the sale? It seems a bit fishy to me. Keep us updated about your experience because I have a feeling the brake probably doesn't work or it's seized up. There should be no reason why someone removes it otherwise. Good news is you should be able to find these parts.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Classic Zcar Club mobile