IGNORED

240z Radio Fuse Holder

Strat067

Looks like the spring is there in the radio fuse holder you have?  Maybe two cylindrical fuses could be used in that existing fuseholder, maybe a short one and a longer one.  Or to make a radio interference limit coil, I remember seeing one a long time ago.  If I remember right it was a single layer of a small gauge enamel wire wrapped on a coil form.  This might be more trouble than anyone would want to go to (I personally love these kinds of challenges) but if someone has a coil and can measure the number of turns and the gauge of the wire (or the uHy inductance value) maybe one could be made by wrapping that same gauge of wire around a deliberately burned out cylindrical glass fuse (a low amperage fuse so the fuse wire would be quite small to avoid interfering with the coil function) used as a coil form.  The glass fuse would be slippery though for the wire to adhere to unless something sticky was put on it for the wire to stick to.  Okay after this no help at all I am going back to watching a car show on TV.

Picture of fuse holder with coil visible inside the fuseholder

240z radio fuse.jpg

Edited by Mikes Z car
add fuseholder with coil picture

Here are a few pictures of the coil and fuse for reference. I can take measurements of various bits if that helps. 

That's a 2A fuse BTW.

The coil seems to be a nail-like core, with a black insulating cover, then coils of copper wire connected to the nail head and spring to electrically connect it through.

Sorry, no, you can't have this one.....

IMG_8217.JPG

IMG_8219.JPG

IMG_8221.JPG

IMG_8222.JPG

• Like 1

Great pictures of the RF choke coil, I can even count the turns of the coil.  Someday if I can borrow one of those coils I can measure the uHy inductance so a new one can be purchased or made or somebody else could measure it.  Here is an RF choke on eBay that would reduce interference and is rated at 2A but it might have less inductance than the 240Z choke meaning it might not work as well.  It might be small enough to be mounted inside a fuse holder can't tell. 

RF choke.jpg

4 hours ago, zKars said:

The coil seems to be a nail-like core, with a black insulating cover, then coils of copper wire connected to the nail head and spring to electrically connect it through.

Actually, the black part is the core, typically called a "ferrite core". It isn't a good conductor of electricity, but it is much better at conduction magnetic lines than air.

The metal end rivet looking headed things just to make electrical connections to the wire. I don't know how deep they go, but I can guarantee that they don't go all the way from one end to the other. Think about it... If there was a conductive nail right through the middle of that thing, then the coil on the outside would be dead shorted out and would be superfluous.