IGNORED

Rear disk conversion

nahurry

I have the 1982 280ZX rear disk conversion on my 1973 240Z. Been working great for years but now have a bad leak coming from the driver side caliper. Can't seem to find a replacement caliper. All parts places say it is out of stock. I can find the passenger side but not the driver side rear.  Is the Maxima caliper the same as the 280ZX caliper? What other replacements will work in place of the 280ZX caliper? Or should I get a caliper rebuild kit for my caliper? 

You can rebuild your caliper as long as the bore is in decent shape.  It's really odd that there are no LR calipers left.  I was surprised to read your post, so I did my own search and found the same thing you did.  As far as I know, the S130 calipers are unique to that car.  

You can polish the bores and Pistons using Crocus cloth ( Machinist Cloth 1000 to 2000 grit ). Use it  with Brake Fluid as a lubricant. Do not use any Petroleum based solvents. Clean off with Brake Cleaner. As long as bores or pistons are not pitted in sealing areas you should be good to go.  It often just surface corrosion that causes a sticking piston.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice on sub axle nut removal. Now that all is removed (took all weekend) and ready for reassembly with new bearings, I've shifted to rear disc brake conversion. 

My challenge is restoration planning. Not in love with the 14" western wheel cyclones on the car and I'm not in a position to pull the trigger on new 15" -16" wheels and tires (funds are directed elsewhere). Would prefer not to experience the sub axle removal again. 

Question, is there a rear disc brake conversion that will fit with the current 14" wheels?

Thanks for the help.