IGNORED

Converting 240Z from carbs to injection. Fuel tank?

conedodger

So my Rebello 3.0 liter stroker is done and it will be MS3 injected with crank fired ignition. It occurs to me that there may be dramatic differences between the 240Z and 280Z fuel tank and fuel delivery. I'm wondering what you guys who've done this have done with your systems. Besides the obvious high pressure pump of course.

People often report back pressure from the smaller 240Z return line, making it impossible to control fuel pressure.  Too high.  They either run new lines or replumb and repurpose a vent line.  Apparently they're bigger.  Of course, many people also use a super-duper race pump that has way more flow volume than they need.  Reasonable specs on the pump for the application and a quick test should answer questions.  

SteveJ mentioned the other issue in a recent post - internal baffles in the tank to be sure the pump doesn't run dry.  A surge tank will help that problem.  

Another angle on the EFI solution is to install a 280z (75-76) tank in the 240. It does fit. It is a bit taller, and hence sticks out a bit lower below the rear valance, and bit wider, but there is plenty of room on the left side without interferring with the muffler area.

The strap on the left side doesn't quite line up with the grove in the tank (about 1/2 a strap out-ish?), but it's not a big deal. Can't remember if I lengthened the straps or used the 280 straps.

Of course the trick is finding a tank.... 

That works too.  Nissan didn't do a great job though on the internal baffles of the 280Z tanks though.  They're known for fuel starvation on sweeping left hand turns when down to about 1/3 tank.  I'm only aware because I've experienced the sudden loss of power with my 76 and did some study on it.  Never did install a surge tank, I just drive according to the fuel gauge.

I plan on running 2 3/8" lines to replace original. Zed is correct about the return line, it has to be bigger for sure. My tank scenario won't help you since I run a CJ 5 tank, but I am going to go with Tank Inc drop in Walbro. It's a neat package if you could make it work on a Z tank.
Surge tank might be an option for you. Have a low pressure feeding it and a high pressure feeding OFF of it. Just have to figure where to put it. What injectors and intake are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Thanks for the replies. I have a good 240Z tank in the car. So armed with these responses, my plan is to retool the tank with 3/8" inlet / outlet fittings and use a surge tank and a high and low pressure pump. I misappropriated the schematic for visualization...ssts-1119-36+building-a-fuel-surge-tank+