IGNORED

Weber selection and initial jet tuning

blodi

Put in the "richest" combo I have just to see... 155 mains 170 air. Put it a full point richer. Same curve though. 

I've read a general rule of thumb is +50 over the main for the corrector...so maybe I jump to ~165 main and 215 corrector? That would richen and flatten it, right?

6-21-17-2.jpg

careful buddy, LOL.. Sounds like you are tuning like a pro now.  IN a year or so you will be giving advice.  Just a word to the wise. keep these files and print them out with what you ran.  It will really save time later and be a great bit of info for yourself and every other Weber Junkie.

3 hours ago, Lumens said:

boldi as a FYI your engine builder passed away last December I found out. He was 64 and had some health issues I guess.

He never owned a computer until the day he died. To pick his brain you had to call him. Very old school.

Oh no! So sorry to hear that! I will really cherish this engine that much more now. :(  He was an extremely knowledgeable guy and I'm glad I got to talk to him when I did. 

For those who don't know the back story...I bought this engine a couple years ago from a 3rd party on craigslist who didn't know much about it. It was still in a crate and hadn't been run since it was built.  I noticed in one of the pictures that it had "RITALON ENG" stamped on the head. So I googled the company...and only found a mailing address...no phone...no website...no email. So I wrote a letter with pictures of the engine asking about it. A couple weeks later Larry called me.  Found out all about this engine, all of his engine builds and tricks and some of his stories of racing back in the day. We talked a couple times for over an hour each. He even texted me a couple times when I had some questions (which seems like it was pretty rare for him!) Really nice guy who took the time to help me out when buying one of his engines from another party.  

Well..transition from that, but on a lighter note....I put in 165 mains and 215 airs....result....getting warmer!  I think a lot might say this is "good enough"?   Runs like a beast ...Larry would be proud I think. :)

35560302896_45097ccb05_o.jpgafr-62817 by blodi, on Flickr

Edited by blodi

The smoothing prevents accurate comparing of runs. It is not recommended.

The dark black line 155-170-35mm seems tightest (12.5 +/- 0.5) but a bit on the rich side.

Use this combo but open the air up to >200 and see if it brings up the upper end to flatten the curve more. The lower end will also rise.

Once you can get the curve relatively flat, the main fuel jet can be tuned to get you ~ 13.

Are the accel jets still working? They could be part of the high rpm richness. I recommend you disable them.

Edited by 240260280

• 2 weeks later...

Last Run in red

best.JPG

Here is the sweet spot to aim for.  You are pretty close.

Opening the air corrector should raise the high rpm side. You'll then have to add more fuel. To bring down the middle which will also rise.

I think your accell jets are causing the rich low end. 

sweet spot.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't had a chance to take any more logs or make any changes. But based on that last one using 165/215.....should 175/235 do it? I figure make a larger jump with the corrector to flatten it. 

I'll try to take another log tomorrow just to confirm where I'm at. 

• Like 1