IGNORED

Intermittent Starting Click

ramsesosirus

Hi all,  I have what should be a simple problem to fix.

First: Starter is new, less than 1 year old.  Battery is also new and charged.  (Starter included solenoid)

When I go to start the car, turn the key, I get the "clicking" sound, starter does not engage.  Volts are fine both at gauge and at battery with multimeter.

I turn the key over a dozen or so times, and it finally engages the starter and starts fine.  Starter and battery have no problem when finally engaged.

Is this some kind of starter relay or switch?  Definitely sounds like something electrical. 

Any help is appreciated, this is about the "last" thing I want to address before starting to drive the Z in the spring.  (other than shocks, u joints, a driveshaft loop, hmmm I guess the list never really ends...)

Edited by ramsesosirus

Almost forgot what I was going to say while the Reply box opened after I signed in.  

Those are also the classic signs of bad battery connections.  The heat of the starter current draw opens the dirty connection.  Clean and tighten your battery cable connections.

Both are good suggestions.  Also the actual ignition switch is held on to the back of the lock assembly by 2 small phillips screws, easy to change.  Prior to doing that, you can simply unplug it's electrical connector & plug in a replacement switch, then turn the switch with a slot screwdriver to test.  Rock Auto has the switch for $17.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Had the same problem with our 260Z.  Turned the ignition click, click (as many as 5-10 times) and then it would fire up.

Assumed that it was the starter itself which looked to be the original to the vehicle so swapped that out.  Certainly an improvement, but clicking never fully went away.

A little reading suggested that the solenoid wasnt getting enough juice which lead me to a relay fix which touch wood, is working great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162167687783

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Dublin Z
Added video