IGNORED

I will own my First Z soon

Demo1986

My name is Demetrio, 29y/o from Orange County CA and looking to buy my first Z.

One problem though, I'm not sure if I want a 2 seater or the 2+2. I'm leaning towards the 2+2 so I can drive around with the family and are a little bit more rare (74-75 pre smog). But I'm also thinking screw it and just get the 2 seater for me.

Now personalizing the Z, I offroad and love going to the desert and dunes so I've thought of turning the Z into a rally style car. Or, getting the right wheel/tire combo and a good stance. Not slammed but slightly lower them stock.

I welcome all comments and suggestions. I can't wait to post a picture of the Z when I buy one!

Welcome to the site!  I used to own a 2+2 and it was great for putting the kiddo in the back seat.  The car is a bit heavier than the 2-seater so don't expect to win any races with it.  But, it's a Z and fun to drive.   You are in the right location to find a clean one.  Just make sure the car came from the southern part of the USA and has no rust.  Don't forget to post a few pics of your new toy when you pick it up!

I found a few decent 2+2's on Ebay but this one stood out.  It looks like she's from an estate sale with only 55k miles and located in CA.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Z-Series-2-2-/272352519515?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3f6979a55b:g:xAAAAOSwdzVXvp--&item=272352519515

There's not much room in the back of a 2+2.  You might take your family out and fit them in the back for a test drive.  Plus, an old Z will probably have some smells.  The kids and wife will be complaining.  

John Coffey was working on something like a desert rally car, I believe, but I don't think they lower off-road cars.  They raise them.

Thanks mike and zed. I'm looking for a daily driver and will not race or take my Z offroad. I like the lifted rally style look but I also like them slightly lowered so we'll see what I decide once I get one.

I did find a '74 2+2 in Las Vegas that's real clean inside and out. From what I read in '74 only 9500 were shipped to the USA compared to 950,000 coupes that same year. Plus '74 is the first year with AC.

40 minutes ago, Demo1986 said:

I did find a '74 2+2 in Las Vegas that's real clean inside and out. From what I read in '74 only 9500 were shipped to the USA compared to 950,000 coupes that same year. Plus '74 is the first year with AC.

If it's truly a 1974, it will be a 260z with dual SU carburetors.  Does it have the small bumpers or the larger ones?  I believe the later models had the bigger bumpers.  Anyway, if it's in good shape, this would be an excellent find.  In 1975 they released the 280z which had the larger bumpers and fuel injection.

This year I've come across 2 Japanese RHD 2+2 Z's. One was local and one in Arizona. I will increase my search further north.

Thanks for the feed back guys I really appreciate the help.

To what@Zed Head said, how comfortable are people in the back seats. My oldest is 3yo and from some pictures of 2+2s I'm unsure if toddler & baby seat will fit back there. Anyone has experienced this scenario?

Forget the back seats, I have had both, besides being pretty much useless, I think it really messes up the lines of the car. Let this be your car, get a mini van for the family JMHO. Beside if you are worried about the safety of the little ones (which you should be of course) then a 40 year old car is not a good idea. Modern cars are much safer, just another reason to make it your car only. I don't know this for a fact but I suspect a child seat may not work so well in the Z, the back seat is not very flat and may not provide a good base. Around here for a family car I use a suburban, its a tank and you need it to survive the distracted idiots on the roads of florida.

Edited by Dave WM